Campus Celeb: Dana Walker ‘18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Sophomore Dana Walker may have been born and raised right here in Chapel Hill, but this globetrotting gal has had some amazing experiences travelling all over the world. She spent her freshman year at Appalachian State before transferring to Carolina, and we’re so excited for her to bring her passion for travel, adventure and elephants to UNC!

Name: Dana Walker

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Chapel Hill, NC

Major: Communications

HC: What made you want to transfer to UNC?

DW: I’m from Chapel Hill and I grew up on this campus – my mom works here and I went to summer camps here, and I just really love this school and everything it stands for. I’ve always wanted to graduate in Carolina Blue and my entire family has some degree from here. I’ve always wanted to be a Tar Heel!

HC: What have you gotten involved in on campus so far?

DW: I’m involved in Buckley Service Scholars, UNC Helping Paws, Scuba Club, and the Sigma Alpha Lambda Honors Program.

HC: What did you do this summer?

DW: My family and I went out west for three weeks and went to almost all the national parks and made a really big road trip out of it. We spent some time in Las Vegas and California to end the trip. I’d never been to the national parks before, and they’re all really awesome and pretty. We rode mules and horses in the Grand Canyon and Brice Canyon and then experienced snow three different times in the month of May! We got to see some neat things, meet really cool people and stay in some cool places. I was also a nanny for two kids and worked as a hostess at the Carolina Brewery so I could make money to save up for traveling!

HC: Your life is travel #goals. Where’s your favorite place you’ve been so far?

DW: I don’t have a specific favorite, but I lived in Italy the summer of my sophomore year of high school and that’s a place that I can call a second home, so that’s always going to be near and dear to my heart. My experience really changed me as a person, and I came away from it with a lot. I also spent a Christmas in Iceland with my family and it’s one of the most amazing places in the world. I want to live there for a period of time, and I’m actually trying to go back there this summer to work. It’s a magical place and I just fell in love.

HC: Do you want to study abroad and if so where?

DW: I actually don’t want to study abroad because I only have three years here so I want to make the most of them. I do want to spend my summers abroad, whether that be studying, an internship or just working abroad. I would want to go to New Zealand, Australia or London.

HC: What’s been your favorite part about UNC so far?

DW: Everything! Especially the atmosphere that comes with sporting events and campus life in general. I love the campus and the people I’ve met here so far!

Caroline is the Evening/Weekend Editor and Style Editor at Her Campus, a senior public relations major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and a leather jacket enthusiast.  You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @c_pirozzolo. 
Rachael is a senior public relations major at UNC–Chapel Hill. In addition to being the president/co-campus correspondent of Her Campus Chapel Hill, Rachael is also a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority and a mentor for EASE, a study abroad organization. She is an enthusiast of Snapchat, strong coffee, and "hardcore parkour" goat videos.