Bring On the Body Paint: The Perfect Game Day Workout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Confession: I do not know a lot about tossing around the ol’ pigskin. At Carolina, it is easy to assume that we all know a thing or two about football. Carolina is a breeding house, producing some of the league’s best. However, I neither know who the best are nor the difference between a cornerback and a tight end.

I do know that as I lift up my shirt, I think to myself, “Oh, I found my freshmen fifteen.” For me, there will be no letters across my body; only a cotton T-shirt from Student Stores. That was until I saw the BOD Man Fragrance commercial. After I regained composure, I thought to myself, “I want his bod … for me!” I want a set of firm glutes and lean legs. I want washboard abdominals. I want to paint letters across my chest, not wear a Carolina cotton T-shirt! If you’re like me, then you want the campus to see your body and want it, too. Fortunately, we don’t have to run the stadium steps to do so. Just follow these easy, football-inspired workout routines and we will have shock-worthy bodies in no time.

Perkier Bottom
I always said if you want a great, perky bottom, then ask a football player. Football players not only have great cores, but also amazing glutes. They rarely sag and are always sources of envy. If you want glutes like the league’s best wide receivers, then squats will get you there. You will either love them or hate them, but squats are great for your thighs, glutes, and core! If you are daring, then you can do squats using a barbell. However, Women’s Health Magazine suggests using dumbbells to reduce injury.

Stand with your feet shoulder length apart and with your toes pointed outwards. Keeping your tummy tight and back straight, slowly lower your body until your knees are bent. Lift up and repeat for three sets of eight or ten! You will feel the burn, but think about the results: a perkier, firmer bottom.

Stronger Core
Drew Brees, quarterback for the New Orleans Saints, said, “The stronger your core is the better chance you have at linking the lower body to the upper body and being the best athlete that you can.” Brees is absolutely right! Having core strength is essential to supporting the rest of your body. Football players run faster, jump higher, and throw farther because they maintain a strong core. So, it’s not all about the six-pack. It’s about having the ability to easily move your limbs and stabilize your body.

To achieve a strong core, incorporate planks into your daily workout. They’re easy, versatile, and effective. A Woman’s Health Magazine offers two types of plank exercises: forearm plank and side forearm plank. All you have to do is hold your body up and balance on your forearms and toes. Hold this position for 30 seconds and then release. Easy, huh? The side forearm plank is equally as simple.

Place yourself in the same position except turn to the side with one arm extended towards the sky. Hold for 30 seconds and then switched to the other side. In one minute, you can tighten your abdomen and oblique muscles. Spare a minute, change your body, and have a happier you!

Leaner Arms
In order to throw the football like Tom Brady, you need lean, mean arms. Stack Magazine offers an array of different exercises that will not only result in amazing arms, but also a more accurate throw (in case you wanted to toss around the ol’ pigskin). The magazine also provides pictures, making it easier to check your position and reduce injury. My favorite workout is the single-arm dumbbell row. Woman’s Health Magazine also provides a great routine for this exercise and it inserted a twist!

With one dumbbell in hand, position your body as you would for a squat. Slowly pull back your arm with the dumbbell, twisting your body in the same direction. Pause and then slowly bring your arm back down, releasing the twist. You’ll be in the squat position and ready for more! Do this for as many reps as you can handle. Now flex your arms and kiss your guns.

So, who’s ready to give the football players a run for their money? 

Other Sources:
Football Workout Exercises: http://www.livestrong.com/article/109010-football-workout-exercises/
Tar Heels – Body Paint: http://mollietri.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/unc-paint1.jpg
Squat (Photo): http://www.workout-routines-that-work.com/images/glute-workout-woman-dum…
Side Arm Plank (Photo):http://media4.onsugar.com/files/2012/08/34/3/192/1922729/66154eadd6bbb0d…
Single Arm Dumbbell Row and Twist (Photo): http://www.womenshealthmag.com/files/wh6_uploads/images/1201-dumbbell-ro…

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!