Being Friends with your Ex-Bae: As Told By ‘Cookie’ from Empire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

We all have that one ex: the relationship didn’t work out but there’s just so much history there that even when it’s over it’s not over. Sometimes, you want to be the bigger person, stand by that “Maybe we should just be friends” line you spat when you broke up, and actually be friends. While this can be seen as a noble, mature act, it is also consenting to some hurdles and more than a few awkward situations. Take these into consideration when trying to determine where the relationship is going to go once the romance is over.

Con: You have to deal with their new love interest, and they’ll probably expect you to be supportive.

Especially if there are still flames between you and ex-bae, this can be especially hard to sit around and witness.

Pro: If you are actually over your ex, you could potentially gain a new friend.

If you two ended on good terms and both of you have moved on, there is actually the potential that you and his new bae could hit it off. There’s nothing more fun than having someone to make fun of your ex with.

Con: There will likely be some unresolved issues between you and ex-bae that could lead to…well, conflict.

Just because you two are over romantically doesn’t mean that any dirt that happened during the relationship is completely wiped clean. All it takes is one memory to remember why the relationship went down in flames.

Pro: There’s history. All those inside jokes you share won’t be lost.

This is someone who knows you better than most. That’s never a bad person to have in your life.

Con: It might be uncomfortable to try to meet new guys with him around, especially if your new scheme is one of his friends.

You can’t deny an attraction if it’s there, but like ‘Cookie,’ you might have to keep the new flame on the low for a while.

Pro: You get to have your friend back without all the complications of a relationship.

If you two were together in the first place, obviously you think they’re somewhat decent, and if y’all ended on a good enough note to even consider being friends, you probably don’t want to lose them. Sometimes bae is a better friend than they were a bae.

All in all, being friends with your ex can go either way. It’s really up to you all, how things ended, and how much more having that person in your life means than having them as a significant other. If you decide to stick around in their life, it’ll probably be hard, but soon they’ll be another season of Empire and ‘Cookie’ can help get you through.