A Beginner’s Guide to Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

While you may hear a lot about “fashion week” in magazines, news and on TV in the coming weeks, for many it’s still a pretty ambiguous event. Although Tar Heel collegiettes may not be in the thick of things during fashion week, there are plenty of ways to get informed on the latest happenings in the world of couture and style. This article will serve as a basic primer so you can be in-the-know on all the happenings in the fashion capitals of the world without having to leave Carolina.

WHO?
           Unfortunately, most fashion week events are by invitation only. Designers that showcase their clothes decide who gets to be in on the action, which usually includes retail buyers, high-profile fashion journalists, industry professionals and celebrity guests–really anyone who will create the most buzz. Many more hang around outside just to get a glimpse and possibly be photographed by the myriad bloggers and paparazzi. But while you may not receive that coveted invite just yet, there’s no reason to be uninformed on these high-fashion happenings!

http://inhabitat.com/24-green-…

WHAT?
           What exactly is fashion week? You may be surprised to learn that it is essentially a trade show.  Although it is indeed glamorous and glitzy, fashion is still a business and the designers’ main objective is to put clothes on display for high-end retail buyers. Production of fashion shows is a huge ordeal costing hundreds of thousands of dollars, so design houses need to make sure they earn that money back. It may look like non-stop parties and exclusive events, but fashion week is made possible by some of the most hardworking people in the industry.

WHEN?
           Fashion week is held exactly twice a year–a formal kickoff to the new season. In fashion there are only two official seasons — spring/summer and autumn/winter. For example, New York Fashion Week 2013 will be held February 7-14th this year. But don’t be fooled — although we are approaching spring, fall fashion and cold-weather clothes will be showcased. This is because the clothes are shown well in advance of the actual, temporal seasons so that buyers can have a preview of what will be “in style” in the coming months, allowing them to plan out their selections and make purchases well in advance. Spring/Summer Fashion Week is usually held mid-September.  Recently, some designers have shown specific collections such as Resort (summer) or Pre-Fall in more casual settings to expedite the process of seeing new designs in stores.

WHERE?
           While you may have heard about “fashion week” events in countless cities or even in your hometown, there are four fashion capitals that constitute the real deal: New York, Paris, London, and Milan. These events attract thousands of journalists and photographers while employing many more thousand in the production, setup and management of the bi-annual extravaganza. In New York, a specific area of the city is cordoned off to make way for the tents that will house the majority of the shows. Since 2010 it has been held in the Lincoln Center.

http://www.luxq.com/category/e…

WHY?
          Besides the trade show aspect of Fashion Week, the designers and buyers get a chance to collaborate on what will be “hot” or “in” during the coming months. For tastemakers, Fashion Week offers an inside glimpse into a designers’ artistic vision before the general public is let in on the trends.  A new designer may view Fashion Week as their “make it or break it” opportunity while a classic like Chanel or Givenchy may use the event to update their image and make sure they stay relevant. If fashion week is all about what’s next, you may have wondered why the clothes on the runway look impractical, prohibitively expensive, or downright ridiculous even to the most fashion-forward of collegiettes. In fact, the clothes you buy in stores are scaled down versions of the designers’ flashy creations. The clothes from the runway may be used in photo shoots for magazines or sequestered away in the designers’ archives.

HOW?
           Even if you aren’t lucky enough to score that front row seat just yet, there is no need to miss out on all the action. Catch a live feed from all of the shows in New York this February from the YouTube account and Maybelline collaboration LiveRunway.

Don’t miss out on your favorite designers by referring to this handy schedule.

The Wall Street Journal also has a frequently updated Fashion Week blog chronicling the best clothes and moments not only from the big four but all over the world as well. Check it out here.

Happy Fashion Week, collegiettes!

Sources:

http://www.hji.co.uk/blogs/2010/09/a-beginners-guide-to-fashion-w.html

http://www.stylenetwork.com/photos/what-is-fashion-week/749#213772

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-fashion-week.htm

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!