This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

I do not like airplane rides.

Along with the takeoffs, the landings and the occasional bumps here and there, I do not like airplane rides mainly for one reason: I have no control. Sure, I have control over my drink order and what I will be listening to on my iPod. But, can I fly the plane if I wanted to? No. If the plane were to take a nose dive, would I be able to do anything? Besides scream, no.

Melodrama aside, looking out of a plane window, there is so much passing before a passenger’s eyes in such a short amount of time — and no one has control over it.

I recently took a plane ride to New York City with the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors. The club went to NYC to meet with magazine editors and alumni and to tour Conde Nast, Meredith and Hearst magazine headquarters.

We captured a glimpse of the inner workings of Glamour, Details, Redbook and Parents magazines. We were able to learn from the industry’s best, including Chandra Turner, the founder and president of Ed2010.com, which is a website for whoever wants to work in the magazine industry one day.

On top of it all, we were in New York City, one of my favorite places and undoubtedly the greatest city in the world. It was an amazing experience — but also a daunting one. As I talked to editors about life in New York City and the balance of personal life versus work, to which two of them politely laughed in my face, I could not help but wonder how I got to this point.

Middle school, let alone high school, feels as though it just happened, and now I am talking about living in New York City and chuckling at the prospect of having a personal life? For a person who is wary of change, this trip was a bit like a slap in the face, but a good one, as when someone is slapped back into reality, or does that only happen in movies?

The past three years have gone by quickly and a lot has changed. High school and college graduations are only four years apart, but we, or most of us, become adults in that short span of time.

It is hard to really notice all of the changes — we see it, and we see how quickly it is passing us by, but do we really take note of it? One minute we are in one place, and the next we are someplace completely different. It reminds me of being a kid, playing outside, and all of a sudden comprehending that it has gotten dark even though it was just light.

This trip made me realize that it is time to start growing up, even though I may rather be watching Gilmore Girls marathons and reminiscing about high school. Okay, I may still do that as an adult, but you get the idea.

All of this change is scary, but exciting at the same time.

I am turning 21 soon, and what could be more thrilling than that? Plus, imagining me working as an intern this summer is surreal and fun, even if I’m grabbing coffee everyday for my boss.

For those of you who are about to graduate, the world is at your feet. You can travel, take some time off, start your first actual job, get married, etc… No longer are you restricted by credit hours, angered by Connect Carolina or worried that your fate is in the hands of a terrible professor. Your plans may be up in air right now, but you will eventually land on your feet.

None of us have control over how quickly life is passing us by. That is the truth, whether we, or maybe just me, like it or not. We also do not have control over some occurrences in our lives. Yet, we have control over a lot of our future and how we handle the changes that come our way.

As the club traveled home, it was late, and we were flying over a vastness of black and a few occasional specks of orange. I did not know what was out there and had no control over it. The uncertainty was unnervingly beautiful and exciting. Then, I gracefully spilled my drink. After uttering a curse word and apologizing to the flight attendant, all I could do was laugh — because it was life.

Photos:
Conde Nast (Photo): Nicole Lee,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicolelee/20438789/

Rachel Bennett is the Executive Assistant and Office Manager for Her Campus, where she juggles several responsibilities and assists the National Team in editorial, web and marketing matters. She loves staying busy and maintaining the unique, fun culture of Her Campus through planning office events, corresponding with readers and writers and more. Rachel began at Her Campus in 2011, when she served as an editorial intern and the Love Editor before her senior year at UNC-Chapel Hill. Since graduation, she's interned with J-14 Magazine in New York City as well as for Scott Feinberg, the top awards analyst for The Hollywood Reporter. A native of Raleigh, N.C., Rachel loves movies, TV (she's still mourning the end of Breaking Bad), the mountains, breakfast food, road trips and dogs. She also loves her friends and family back home and hopes to soon adjust to the New England winter, which will most likely never happen.Follow Rachel on Twitter: @RachelBennett04
Sophomore, PR major at UNC