This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Online classes offer a lot of flexibility, but they can also increase stress and lower motivation. Try these tips the next time you need a productivity boost!

Unplug From Your Phone

One of the toughest parts of online classes is resisting the temptation to pick up your phone and start scrolling. Make things easier for yourself by putting your phone on “do not disturb” or airplane mode so you won’t get distracted by notifications. For extra motivation, you can even try putting your phone in another room and commit to not check it until you do an hour of work. 

Turn Your Camera On

Even though no one looks their best at 8:00 a.m., try turning your camera on during your online classes. Keeping your camera on will help you connect better and communicate more clearly with your classmates and professors. It can also help keep you accountable and focused and will make online classes feel *a little* more normal. 

Make a To-Do List

It’s easy to fall into the trap of staying busy but not productive, but making a to-do list can help solve that! Try writing down the five or six most important tasks to accomplish that day, then rank them in order of importance. Start with the most important task, then work your way down as you go. Enjoy your new productivity and especially that feeling of satisfaction as you cross each item off!

Keep a Calendar

Juggling different classes, extracurriculars and your personal life can be a lot, but keeping a calendar makes a big difference! Pick a virtual or physical calendar, then write down the dates of big tests, meetings and assignments. You won’t have to worry about missing a huge deadline, and you can look ahead to see if there are any big projects you need to get a head start on.

Give Yourself Time to Recharge

Most importantly, don’t forget to take care of yourself! Online classes can blur the boundaries between work and personal time, so make sure to take time for yourself. Whether it’s by taking a walk outside or enjoying a hobby, remember to give yourself time to relax and recharge.

Online classes can be tough, but these tips will have you knocking out assignments in no time!

Ruta Petrikis

Chapel Hill '24

Ruta Petrikis is a first-year at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill studying chemistry and Spanish.