5 Reasons You Want to be Friends with Olympian Kate Hansen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

1. First, this is American luger Kate Hansen.  What is she doing?  Dancing.  Why?  She loves Beyoncé.

Her warm-up dance went viral during the early rounds of Olympic competition, and when it was discovered that she only blasts Beyoncé through those oversized headphones, Kate got a shout out from Queen B herself…or at least her Facebook page, which is more than most could ever hope for!

The fact that she gained the Pop Icon’s attention makes her a goddess amongst much of the population.  Fact:  If this girl can dance her way into the heart of Beyoncé, then we need to be friends A.S.A.P.

2.       She’s a student AND an Olympic athlete.

You know those weeks where the exams are piling up, the papers are suffocating you, and you Friday becomes that light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel that makes you wake up every morning?  Now, imagine balancing all of the stresses of a college schedule with being an Olympic athlete.

Kate Hansen is a sophomore at Brigham Young University in Utah and somehow manages training and tackling Sochi while most of us celebrate making it to class on time…or at all.  Makes your life seem a little easier doesn’t it?  And it demands her respect. Go Kate!

3.     She danced in front of the world the way that most of us dance in our mirrors

If you read this and immediately denied that you’ve mirror danced then you’re lying. Since the beginning of time, women have been grabbing hairbrushes and breaking it down in front of their mirrors. And though many of us dream of the day that we can step into the actual spotlight, Kate Hansen has stepped up and done just that. By taking her well-practiced Beyoncé choreography and performing it in front of the entire world she instantly becomes the hero of any lady who’s ever stood in front of her mirror.

She dances like no one is watching and proves that it’s always best to just be yourself and stop caring about what others think.  As a friend she would never judge you and honestly would probably jump up and join you if you ever did something that looked ridiculous.    

4.    She didn’t win… but she still is one of the most talked about athletes in the Olympics

Kate’s goal when coming to the Olympics was to break into the top 10. She didn’t manage this goal but took it humbly knowing that she’s young and up against great competitors.  

She also proved that though you may not get exactly what you were out to accomplish, you can still earn recognition along the way.  She has the cup-half-full outlook on life, which means that through the good times and the bad the would be there to find the happiness.

5.       She’s just like just a normal girl!

Yea, the fact that she’s an Olympic athlete sets her apart from the majority of the female population, but beyond that she’s just the average girl who loves the same things.  

In her official bio, which you can read here, she states that she loves surfing, watermelon, and her favorite movies are Mean Girls and She’s the Man.  So, at the end of the day…who doesn’t love watermelon and Mean Girls?  Let’s all pull pull up a chair, pop some popcorn, and invite Kate Hansen to our movie nights, because from what we can tell she’s pretty “Fetch.”

Kaylee Brown

Chapel Hill

Kaylee Brown is a second year, Journalism major, English minor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She watches way too much reality t.v. and can quote basically any movie ever made...something she's proud of. She has rocked a bob hairstyle since 1996. Her mom is her best friend in the entire world but she's an undeniable "Daddy's Girl". She is 100% Tarheel born and bred. She loves anything Southern, struggles with an addiction to sweet tea, and likes to write things.
Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.