5 Reasons You Should MAKE a New Year’s Resolution, not Stick with It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Everyone and their mother seems to be talking about their New Year’s resolution lately, and odds are, you’re sick of it. If you’re a gym rat, I know you’re probably ready for the “New Year, New Me” crowd to leave and return next January, but I’m here to tell you that resolutions aren’t all bad. They can be very personal and you could surprise yourself with how much you benefit from attempting to stay with one.

1. You’ll start the New Year out on a positive note

Your new goal will give you a positive outlook on the rest of the year and leave you feeling empowered, ready for success and excited for the upcoming year.

2. It gives you a goal to work towards

Whether it be a goal for physical change or mental change, a resolution will give you something to strive towards. You’ll be more self-aware and make decisions with your resolution in mind (if only for a few months).

3. You’re not entitled to stick with it

Resolutions are a great way to start bettering yourself any time of the year. Even if you don’t stick with it, it enforces the mentality that you can always strive for change and to become a better “you.” Let’s say you forget about your resolution by February. No worries, because who said change can only start taking place on January 1?

4. It brings a new perspective to your year

A year may be a long time for some people and it could be a short time for others. Regardless, it gives a sense of purpose to your year, and gives you a different lens to make decisions through.

5. They’re not as irrelevant/outdated as you might think

Growing up, my grandfather always made sure I had a resolution for the new year, but I always wondered how many others were making resolutions. It seemed like no one else my age was making resolutions, but he said one should always have a resolution for the new year. From that statement, I adapted the mentality to always try to better myself.

All in all, there’s no harm in making a New Year’s resolution, because even if you don’t stick with it, you’re not going to be punished. They’re a fun way to set a goal for yourself! Who knows, maybe you’ll surprise yourself with your commitment to it.

Let us know what your New Year’s Resolutions are in the comments below!

Karishma Patel is a sophomore Journalism-Editing and Graphic Design major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She is also on the pre-medicine track.