5 Classic Books to Read Over Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Between reading for classes, work and a social life it is often hard to find time to sit down and read a good book. If you’re a bookworm like me, then you can’t wait to get a week off from school, take a break from dry textbook reading and have a chance to catch up on your personal reading list. Here are 5 classic books I recommend to add to your list for over spring break:

Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs

The classic novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs is similar to the Disney plot you most likely know and love. Tarzan’s parents are killed and he is raised by apes in the jungle in Africa. He then meets the love of his life Jane Porter and other men who look like him. Tarzan is faced with the dilemma to stay in the jungle or leave with Jane to Europe and become a civilized man.

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Probably one of my favorite book of all time, the Pulitzer Prize winning novel takes place during the Great Depression in a small Alabama town. It is about a trial where a white lawyer defends a black man who is accused of raping a white woman and discusses race issues in America.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

As much as I loved the movie with Leonardo Dicaprio, the book is even better. The Great Gatsby takes place during the roaring 20’s and follows the life of mysterious millionaire Jay Gatsby. The novel portrays the American Dream through a flapper culture and many fabulous parties.

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

In The Sun Also Rises the main characters aimlessly live their lives, trying to find meaning or purpose. Hemingway was a part of the Lost Generation where many men returned from fighting in WWII and struggled to assimilate back into a changed culture. Hemingway is well known for his “iceberg” writing style where he reveals only the tip of the meaning and majority of the symbolism and deeper meaning is hidden underneath the surface.

Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger

The once controversial novel, is about the main character, Holden Caulfield, retelling his story while undergoing treatment in a mental hospital. Holden finds himself in a whirlwind of trouble and adventure as he tries to grow up in a “phony” adult world. The novel discusses themes of teenage angst, alienation, belonging and an attempt to find ones identity.

While five may seem daunting, each of these novels are fairly short and I promise they are well worth the read. Pick one or all five and cuddle up in your bed or lay out on a beach and dive into a classic novel this spring break.