10 Thoughts I Have About Graduating—Or Are They Nightmares?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Hi, my name is Ashley, and I’m graduating in T-minus three months. Yes, you heard me right, there are just a few more months until I’m thrown into a completely new stage in my life, and I can’t lie, I’m slightly terrified. I’m also excited, nervous and ready for this new journey. With all these different emotions in mind, I’m sure it’s all too easy to imagine the stream of thoughts running through my mind all day every day. If you were curious, here are ten thoughts that tend to keep me overanalyzing for hours, and usually when I should be sleeping.

“OK, I’ve favorited 52 jobs online. That sounds like a good number to start with.”

Yes, I’ve applied for just about every job I can imagine. Yes, I’m a little nervous about where I’ll be working in the future. Could you tell?

“Should I go to graduate school or wait a year? The world may never know.”

I guess we’ll see, next fall?

“Is it too late to make a pre-graduation bucket list?”

Maybe just a little too late? Either way, this is the perfect time for me to get sentimental, and I want to take part in all of our school traditions, just one last time.

“When do I even order my cap and gown?”

Seriously, does anyone know?

“Am I going to be able to afford rent, next year? Oh my goodness, what if I can’t?”

I think money is a general fear for seniors, right? It really does something to me, my goodness.

“Am I ever going to see *insert name here* after graduation?”

I’m sure I’ll still see all of my friends after graduation, even if it isn’t as frequently as it is now. However, the thought still makes me nervous.

“Wow, college was actually very enjoyable. Wait, I don’t want it to end.”

Can’t forget the general “I don’t want college to end” thought. I’m sure that thought has gone though every senior’s mind by now.

“What if this is my last time going to *insert place name here* before graduation?”

If you can’t tell, I’m pretty big on “last times”. Definitely too sentimental.

“This place is amazing, these memories are wonderful and these people are some of my best friends. I’m really going to miss it.”

Yes, I’m really going to miss it. 

“Wow, I’m actually pretty excited to graduate.”

Yes, regardless of all thoughts and opinions pointing to to the contrary, I do believe that I’m actually a little excited to throw on that cap and gown and call myself an alumna.

Here’s to the last few months of senior year! If you’re graduating and these thoughts speak to you, I hope you keep pushing. I know there are good things to come!

Ashley Oldham

Chapel Hill '20

Ashley Oldham is a senior English and Comparative Literature and Sociology double major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In her free time she enjoys drinking way too much coffee, attempting to write the next great American novel, and going on spontaneous road trips, all in the name of procrastinating on whatever schoolwork she currently has to do. To see what she's doing next (and get bombarded with cat pictures) follow her on Instagram @ashleyyerinno.