Partying or Passing?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CCCU chapter.

The press often describe University students as “party animals” “divas” and sometimes even “alcoholics.” They, and half of the other non-university-student population, seem to think that us students wake up at 6pm, eat pasta, drink vodka and party – usually ending in one night stands and chlamydia. As much as some of that is true – hopefully not about the STD – they always fail to mention that us students ARE actually doing work – surprising I know. In fact, while most of us are up at 8am to attend lectures, many of us also manage to juggle part time jobs, extra curriculum activities and a steady social life. So why don’t they mention those facts within their front cover stories instead? I’ve interviewed a male student from Southampton University, who was awarded for his laddish behaviour and sleeping around, to find out if there’s more to just this stereotype and if he still manages to keep up his good grades as well as partying hard.

Kevin O’Flanagan, based in Leytonstone, East London, has talked about his award, his social life and his grades.

1) What degree are you doing? I’m studying TV and Video Production, I want to be a Producer/Director in the TV industry.

2) What award did you get and why? Shag at uni.com and Daily Star’s ‘Uni Lad of the year 2014.’

3) How did you get recognised for this? From appearing on a few TV shows including “Date My Pornstar’ on Channel 4 – this opened a few doors for me and started getting me media and press contacts, the guy who owns the website Shag at Uni.com contacted me through Twitter.

4) How many times a month do you go out on average? I go out on average about 3-5 nights a week

5) And how many times in that month would you usually take a girl home and why? Anything from 3-10, it varies. Why? Because I’m young and single and just enjoying my youth as much as I can, if its harmless safe fun I don’t see a problem in it.

6) Would you say you party more than you study? I’d 100 percent say I party more than I study, BUT, I’m a massive geek when it comes down to it and its needed, I love my course and I know where I’m going in the future, I’m just having as much fun as I can while I can and before I have to become an adult with a busy career.

7) Are you maintaining good grades or is your social life affecting them? I’m maintaining good grades because I’m a massive geek deep down about my course and I’m generally good at the work and very hard working, if something is important to me like the degree I’m aiming for I’m going to make time for it.

8) Any advice as to how to keep a happy medium between a good social life and maintaining good grades? Work hard, party harder. Enjoy uni experience as much as you can, just make sure you’re attending your lectures and classes.

9) Do you have a life motto? ‘If it weren’t me it would just be someone else, so it may as well be me.’

Thank you Kevin.

Although we don’t encourage heavy drinking and sleeping around, you can see from this interview with Kevin that you CAN party and get good grades, and as he said, just make sure you attend the lectures. Like Kevin, many of us may party more than study but does that really affect our grades and make us “alcoholics” or “pesty students?” In my opinion, no. University is a learning curve, not just for our degree but for our LIFE; you learn how to live alone, to cook, to clean, to balance friends and money and work, you learn social skills and you learn from your mistakes. If you go out one night before an assessment and fail, then you learn not to do that again. An anonymous source quoted:

“For my first year I’d turn up to my lectures still half drunk from the night before and still maintain a steady 2:1 grade, however, at the beginning of this year, I did the same thing and got a lower grade than I wanted. This has just made me realise going out the night before isn’t a great choice for me, and now I just go out after to celebrate instead.”

It’s all about learning what’s right for you. If you’re like Kevin and are able to go out more than half of the week and get good grades, then ignore the press and do, because you only have three years until the world of full time working begins.

To talk to Kevin more about his awards, his life or just to say hi, follow him on twitter on @_KevinOFlanagan

Just a happy girl with a huge love for good acting, jazz music and tasty cocktails.