A-Level Language Crisis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CCCU chapter.

There’s a problem in Modern Foreign Language A-Levels. And it’s reaching crisis point.

The Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual) has said the number of students taking MFLs has plummeted since 2001.

Why? Because too few MFL students are getting top marks.

For example, 40 percent of A-Level French students achieved A* or A. But only one in six of those grades was an A*. By comparison, the average of A*s across all subjects is one in three. It’s thought that the most able students are thus avoiding languages for fear that they won’t get the grades they need.

Some leading universities, such as Oxford and Cambridge, demand all A*s from potential applicants. So it’s easy to see why some students are avoiding MFLs for practical reasons. But why is it so hard to get top marks in MFLs?

Ofqual’s review report highlighted several areas of concern. MFL questions were often ineffective when it came to differentiating between individual students. They also often failed to identify the most able.

Some mark schemes were unclear about what constituted a correct answer. And some exam structures put too much emphasis on speaking and not enough on writing.

Ofqual chief regulator Glenys Stacey admitted there is something “awry” in MFLs. But she also said that the proposed changes will make sure “those who should get the higher grades will do so”.

Ofqual claimed that the alterations will not effect the way subjects are taught or students prepared for exams. And they have also committed themselves to enacting the change in MFLs by summer 2015. 

Several school-related associations have expressed approval of Ofqual’s plans, particularly the urgency of implementation.

Helen Myers, chair of the Association of Language Learning’s London branch, said it would be “welcome… for something to come in now”. She also commented that “as a nation, we want more people to do languages”.

Reforms for exam subjects other than MFLs should come about in 2016.

Did you take a foreign language at A-Level? Do you think that the exams need changing? Let us know on Facebook, Twitter (@HerCampusCCCU) or in the comments!

Penny Gotch is an Essex girl living in Kent, where she's studying Creative & Professional Writing. She dabbles in everything. Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, script: you name it, she does it. In her spare time, she likes music, baking, and watching wrestling. For more information, please check out her website: www.pennygotch.co.uk