This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CCCU chapter.

It’s that time of year again, when religious or not, people give up their luxuries for 40 days.

In tribute to lent beginning and in reflecting its origin, in which Jesus didn’t eat for 40 days while in the desert, the theme on Her Campus CCCU this week is Sacrifice. The team have interpreted this in their own ways, but first we’re looking at the idea of lent, what do the HC CCCU team think of it all?

There’s the debate of whether or not to give something up if you’re not religious (which will be discussed by our contributors in articles this week), and then there’s what to give up!

Personally I have toyed with ideas of giving up chocolate, chips (like I did last year) or even snacking – but one contributor has changed my mind on the matter completely:

Alice Vereker-Hales’ View

“When giving things up for lent people usually think about giving up a variety of foods, drink or something of luxury. Though traditionally a Christian reflection on Jesus’ 40 day fast in the desert, many people of all backgrounds partake in this in the lead up to Easter Sunday. I had always given up chocolate (though I fail to see how now!) until A level Philosophy and Ethics when one teacher changed this.

Discussing the reason for lent and what would be traditionally given up our teacher shared her idea of giving up being grumpy for the 40 days. Though initially we laughed at this idea of giving up a personal emotion, it holds great value.

By giving up an unwanted personality trait or negative emotion for 40 days, you will adapt your way of thinking, and you will be able to maintain keeping the negative at bay, even after Easter Sunday. It is said to take between 21 and 30 days to change a habit, and if yours is always seeing the negative or forever being grumpy (like me) then doing it for lent will permanently change your way of thinking. As long as you stick to it!

The most important thing to remember is that it will take time and it won’t happen overnight! But with your efforts alone, you’re doing much better than those that refuse to change. It will be fine and in no time you’ll be loving life!”

What I’m giving up…

After Alice’s enlightening story I thought long and hard about what I would want to change about myself, and have finally got a fixed idea of what to give up. This will definitely shock my whole class, and a lot of my friends – but I will be giving up procrastination for lent. My whole class have known me for three years as the queen on the last minute club, because I leave all of my assignments until the last minute! It’s time to change that.

I know it’ll be hard, but it’ll definitely be worth it. Just think how great it feels when you have a productive day? That could finally be my every day. Especially now with all of my Her Campus responsibilities and a final year project to complete, it’s definitely time to learn to get my a*se in gear!

What are the rest of the team giving up, and what do they think of lent?

Louise Rackley:  My opinion is people who aren’t religious shouldn’t do [Lent], just as they shouldn’t celebrate Christmas. I’d like to say I’d give up alcohol. but everyone will know that could and would never happen… so I’m given up the “snooze” button on my alarm clock. This is gonna be tricky as I press it up to 6 times every morning! But life is short and I don’t want to waste any more of it by snoozing.

Sophie Tumber: I don’t even know the reasoning behind lent, so I don’t give anything up. I never have!

Mason Walter Cooper: I’m not giving up anything for lent as I have given up enough for the gym challenge… Also on terms of Religion I don’t really celebrate any religious holiday a part from Christmas as I see that as a time of love, giving, and family. Religion says I am going to hell for being gay so you know; at least it’s warmer in hell!

Ashleigh Watkins: I have not given up anything because I feel like at the moment nothing in my life needs to be fixed by giving something up for lent.

Lorna Holland: I never give anything up for lent because I think that if you have something you want to give up you should give it up any time rather than just at lent.

Penny Gotch: I’m planning on giving up chocolate.

Alex Harden: I think everyone is entitled to celebrate lent if they want to, as well as Christmas and any other religious holiday. I think for lent instead of giving something up I will become more aware of what I have and be more grateful for them. Sacrifice is a very strong word in doing so it has a great impact on your life.

Whitney Ndubusi: Fizzy Drinks, Takeaway, Possibly Red Meat… I did takeaway last year and lasted 20 days!

What do you think of lent? Are you giving something up? Let us know via Twitter @HerCampusCCCU

Shelby is a graduate in Creative and Professional Writing who is still trying to hold onto student life by living in a student house, continuing to write for Her Campus and living on cereal. Shelby is writing about the scariness of graduate life on her blog, every day: gradualrealities.wordpress.com
Alice has recently graduated from Canterbury Christ Church, as one of the last to graduate at their Folkestone Campus; UCF before closure. She studied Dance Education and is currently teaching Primary School Dance within PE at several schools. She also does what feels like 100 other things! Alice is looking into a masters at CCCU, as much of her work this year will count as credits. Her opinion on life; It's fine, totally fine! Loving Life! (P.S. Alice loves putting side notes/comments in brackets... she is not sure why)
Just a happy girl with a huge love for good acting, jazz music and tasty cocktails.
Ashleigh is 21 and is currently in her second year at Canterbury Christ Church University.
Hi Guys, I'm Mason. I'm currently studying Drama at CCCU. I'm a huge Film and TV Geek, Disney Fan and Part-time Gamer.... I say Gamer, I actually meaning running around with no clue on how I actually play the game! Make sure you follow me on Twitter @masoncooper7 and send me a tweet if you have any suggestions or opinions you want to express! 
My name is Sophie and I'm 20 years old. I'm a performing arts student and fashion addict from Kent, England. If there was a cheerleading Disney princess, it would be me - that's the kind of person I am.
Penny Gotch is an Essex girl living in Kent, where she's studying Creative & Professional Writing. She dabbles in everything. Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, script: you name it, she does it. In her spare time, she likes music, baking, and watching wrestling. For more information, please check out her website: www.pennygotch.co.uk
I'm in my final year of studying Creative & Professional Writing at Canterbury Christ Church University. Aside from writing, I love books, bands, TV shows, film, photography, and travel.
Whitney is a second year drama student at Canterbury Christ Church University. She enjoys writing and hopes to become a teacher.