It’s March 14th, And That Means It’s The Man’s Turn To Be Swept Off His Feet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CCCU chapter.

A month ago, it was Valentine’s Day – and millions of couples across the world celebrate the love-day with meals out, a night in cuddled on the sofa, some even got engaged. But, Valentine’s Day seems to be all for the women, so where’s the man’s day to be loved?

It’s March 14th, and that means it is the man’s turn to be swept off his feet – today is colloquially known in the UK as Steak and B*** Job Day. But, some people think it’s a waste of time, so what’s the general opinion on the matter? 

What do our contributors have to say?

Mason Walter Cooper:  I personally don’t like it. I can’t understand why anyone should have to cook their partner steak then give them a b*** job. I mean how romantic does that sound?

Louise Rackley:  It’s just a bit of fun! Same as Valentine’s Day, genuinely people cook their partner dinner and have sex on Valentine’s Day, so steak and B*** Job Day is just a mimic of that… I think it’s funny. Plus, I love steak!

Melissa Holden: My boyfriend actually mentioned it to me yesterday, and seeing as we didn’t do anything for Valentine’s Day, I’m not that bothered by the preface. Then again, I’ve convinced him to cook me dinner! It’s all a joke, but I think sometimes it can go too far. 

Contributor, Louise Rackley had more to say on the matter:

Steak and B*** Job Day may be deemed as “sexist” or “offensive” but who says it has to be? In my relationship, he’s not the only one eating the steak or getting the blowjob. People look too much into it. Valentine’s day is seen as the “day of love” but everyone knows it’s a day when many virgins will be wooed and think it’s a suitable day to lose their virginities if they’re in relationships, so although it’s named after Saint Valentine, a more suitable name could perhaps be “presents and sex” as that’s the general procedure. So what’s steak and b***’s compared to that?  If you have a happy and healthy sex life then oral sex is probably a big part of it anyway and so it’s just celebrating something that some people find wonderful, and steak, well, that’s the best bit isn’t it? There’s no rule that it’s compulsory to do and so it shouldn’t offend anyone, much like Pancake Day, if I didn’t like pancakes I wouldn’t call the day offensive and look down on anyone eating them. It’s just a funny way of mimicking Valentine day and having good food and good fun. The only people who may have a right to say it IS offensive are vegetarians who perhaps wouldn’t eat either meat.

Melissa Holden: I agree with Louise, it is just a bit of fun, and there is no need to get offended by it. Then again, the whole idea behind the day is that men want something in return for what they did a month previous. I think that you shouldn’t do something in hope of getting something back – Valentine’s Day is about celebrating love, not competing. Why can’t we just celebrate relationships without the need to do it on a specific day of the year just because society says it’s acceptable? 

So, whatever you are doing this March 14 – whether it’s Steak and B*** Job celebrations, or just hanging out with your partner – enjoy it.

Have you got something to say about the matter? Tweet us @HerCampusCCCU with the hashtag #SteakandBJDay

I'm a 20 year old self-published author who blogs a lot and drinks far too much tea! Melissa Holden's Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/MelissaHoldenWriter Melissa Holden's Amazon Page: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Melissa-Holden/e/B00GSL71SE/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1416236950&sr=8-1
Just a happy girl with a huge love for good acting, jazz music and tasty cocktails.
Hi Guys, I'm Mason. I'm currently studying Drama at CCCU. I'm a huge Film and TV Geek, Disney Fan and Part-time Gamer.... I say Gamer, I actually meaning running around with no clue on how I actually play the game! Make sure you follow me on Twitter @masoncooper7 and send me a tweet if you have any suggestions or opinions you want to express!