wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

21st Century Loving: Lauren Tries Internet Dating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CCCU chapter.

People crave love yet frown on internet dating. Why does our generation choose not to embrace the new inventions of exploring love when its clearly still desired in 21st century society?

Once upon a time,  love was something wonderful.

Once upon the 21st century, love is who you are most compatible with when it comes to internet dating.

Once upon a time,  the flutter of excitement in your stomach meant that you were one step closer to finding that special someone.

You could spend hours dreaming about the different situations that would lead you to ‘awkwardly bumping’ into Mr.Right. Nowadays, its’ the not the question of ‘if they were’ but ‘when they were going to be’.

You would know they’re the only one for you because without them, you feel useless and empty. A piece of you is missing when they aren’t with you. Without them, how would you get through the hardest of situations? Who would turn your bad days in to happy ones? Who would love you when you had forgotten how to love yourself? You could make you smile at the mere mention of their name?

Once upon the 21st century, excitement is when you get a Tinder match from a guy you know is well out of your league.

The only thing you dream about is whether they actually look like that or if photoshop has played a part in their new profile picture.

If you didn’t find someone? Sure you’ll be sad, but you could find someone else on a different dating website. A piece of you would never be missing because, when it comes to new people: commitment is a big issue for you. As for the tears? They would properly be the reason why you were laying in bed for days, crying your eyes out.  

You don’t need to worry about bad days, Facebook can turn the worst of days into happy ones. After all, stalking peoples profiles is something we all do and secretly enjoy. Love is for people who live in a dream world, you are all about your friends, and don’t have time to look for Mr.Right. But if you were to find love, and to be looked after and have someone make you laugh everyday, you wouldn’t complain.

The 21st century lacks love. The desire to be loved is still there, but we are consistantly being distracted with new social networking sites, that the longed-for ‘awkward bump and five second gaze’ isn’t really a possibilty online. After all, how are you meant to woo or be wooed by some stranger when your too busy checking what your friends did at the weekend?

While some may see this as a bad thing, that we as a society are forgetting the excitment of love, I disagree. The possibilities of love are just evolving and you can choose to sit and frown upon them, or pick up your laptop and sign up to a dating website. Wanting to be loved doesn’t make you desperate, it makes you human. 

Once upon a time, I frowned at internet dating. I believed that it was dangerous to be talking to people you didn’t know. But think for a second: you know more about that person online by reading their profile than you do about the guy you’ve been admiring from behind your coffee cup for the past year. Yes, there’s a chance that it may not be real information, but just because he’s sitting in front of you instead of on a screen, doesn’t mean he’s being honest. 

So, I thought I would try the mysterious world that is: Internet Dating. My friends told me about Tinder and the ego boast it could bring, so I thought, why not? I was newly single and could do with a pick me up: it was perfect! With internet dating, its just about being sensible: some people will lie to you to get action, and some people may be dangerous, its just how you approach the situation that determines the outcome. 

I met a guy -surprise,surprise! We spoke for two weeks before I finally asked him out. Yes ladies, I asked him out.

It was my first date, ever. I mean, I had been in relationships, but there had been no dating involved, so you can imagine how scared I was. Not only had I met this person online, and arranged to meet him, but it was my first real date. I was sensible of course: over those two weeks, I slowly got his Facebook and then got his SnapChat (and stalked to see if he was real). 

We met in a public place (always the best course of action) and we hit it off straight away. We’ve been on four dates since then and we still find things to talk about. We’re not in love, but we like each other. Once you manage to find someone you like, love becomes a possibility.

Internet dating can be dangerous, but so can meeting someone at a night club: ‘Stranger Danger’ is everywhere. It’s something you can’t avoid but you can be careful of. If your sensible about who you’re meeting and where you’re meeting, then there is nothing to say that an internet-dating-relationship can’t work.

I’ve tried relationships by meeting people at clubs, or my university, but so far, meeting someone online has been the best experience. It allows you to learn a little about them so that when you do meet them, you have things to talk about. You know if your compatible without all the heartbreak of loving and losing. Yes, some may say that’s the expereince of love, but love is different in the 21st century. Its time we all learnt that and embraced it.

Once you meet you guy, then you can have the cliches that are assosiated with love. You can have the best of both worlds, as long as your willing to take the risk, and you’re sensible about it all. 

Have you experienced internet dating, good or bad? Tell us about it @HerCampusCCCU
Creative Arts Student & Harry Potter enthusiast!