This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Now that Thanksgiving is over, it is officially time to get into the Christmas spirit! Christmas is my favorite time of the year, but I mean that’s nothing out of the ordinary. Who doesn’t love Christmas?? Yeah, nobody. To get into the Christmas Spirit, people often start put up their decorations, watch movies, and listen to music. The way I get into the spirit is by listening to the music, but not the same basic Christmas songs. I get that Mariah’s “All I Want for Christmas” is a classic and everyone loves it, but that actually isn’t on my playlist. Some of these songs you probably know, while some… I’m just going to say, “you’re welcome” in advance.

1. What You Want for Christmas- Quad City DJ’s. Oh. My. Goodness. This has been one of my all-time favorites!! It’s literally a ghetto version of “Twelve Days of Christmas,” and honestly, I would say that it’s better too. When the K-Knot ended her verse with “…and a man with a lot of money,” I felt that. This is probably one of the few Christmas songs that you can twerk and get ratchet too, which is why it’s my favorite.
  2. Christmas with My Girl- Mindless Behavior. This song is my replacement for “All I Want for Christmas.” Being the middle school fangirl I was, my edges were snatched when they dropped this. This song is just too cute and makes me wish my boo would sing this to me, even if it isn’t Christmas.
  3. 8 Days of Christmas- Destiny’s Child. Okay, now if you don’t know this bop then you need to have several seats. Everybody should know this song! This really has me looking at my manz like, “Okay so what are you gonna bring to the table?” While my #1 song was for twerking, this one is for a little swing of the hips. 
  4. Why’d You Leave Me on Christmas- B2K. Have you ever broken up with anyone right around the holidays? This is the perfect song for you. Honestly, one reason I love this song is because I can’t help but laugh at some of the lyrics even though it’s not meant to be comical. “I bought ya cellphone, can’t even talk to you.”  Like, dang boy no wonder you’re over here crying. You’ve bought this girl all of this stuff, just to cheat, and get left. LOL.
  5. What Do the Lonely Do at Christmas- The Emotions. This song is a SUPER throwback. Now After going through the “Why’d You Leave Me” phase, you might be wondering what to do now. The song starts out with “Tis the season to be jolly, but how can I be when I have nobody,” and throughout the song they’re asking what are they supposed to do at such a joyous time of the year while being lonely. It may sound like a depressing song, but it’s really not. It’s just full of old school soul and I love it.
  6. Sleigh Ride- TLC. Honestly, this song speaks for itself. There’s not a holiday season that goes by that the radio does not play this. Whenever I hear this song, it automatically makes me happy. It’s so upbeat and the perfect way to end my playlist.
Born and raised in Covington,GA , Jayla Ores is a freshmen at the Illustrious Clark Atlanta University. She is majoring in Mass Media with hopes of having her own talk show.