Top 3 Moments from the Season Premiere of Star

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

For those who are fans of Lee Daniel’s shows, Wednesday September 27th was an exciting night for you. Not only was it the season four premiere of Empire, but it was also the premiere for the second season of the show Star. Star is a drama series about three girls named Star, Alexandrea, and Simone who all ran away to Atlanta pursue their music career as a trio. There they find Carlotta, who acts as a mother figure. The show is filled with catchy songs and themed dance numbers. As they chase their dream, they go through many ups and downs personally and as a group. Each episode is jaw dropping. This is not a basic show that you can predict what is going to happen next. Going to the bathroom during a scene can cause you to miss something major because you never know what’s about to happen. On this week’s episode, there were a few scenes that left my mouth hanging and some that almost had me on the floor. There was even a little mashup scene with Empire, but that wasn’t even the best part of the show to me. Here’s a list a of some moments that shocked me the most.

1. When Elliot Wu tried to makeup with Cotton. In the last season Cotton, a transgender female, started dating a guy that went by the name of Elliot Wu. Her and Elliot’s relationship grew as the season went on, but towards the end it was tore apart. Cotton had been saving up money to get her sex reassignment surgery, but due to unfortunate events she had to give the money for another cause. Since this was a surgery that Cotton has been saving up for years and has dreamed of going through, she decided to get it the easiest way she could…to steal it from Elliot. He then found out, and right when she was about to go under for surgery, she got handcuffs instead of a vagina. So, when she got out of jail in this episode, she went to the club and was told that somebody wanted to see her. To be honest, I thought it was going to be a pimp waiting for her, but NOPE. It was Elliot Wu sitting there as if sis didn’t just rob him. So first I was like “oooooh sugar honey iced tea”, but then what really shocked me was that Cotton slapped him and walked away…like you can’t be mad that you got arrested for taking all of this man’s money girl.

2. Alex’s “miscarriage”. Within the last few episodes of last season, Alex had gotten pregnant by Derek right around the time when they got into a car accident which caused him to be paralyzed from the waist down. After both of them being anxious about the pregnancy, Alex eventually had a miscarriage. During the episode, Alex seemed to act very distant. Every time someone asked her how she felt, she just brushed it off. Most people would think that her strange behavior could stem from the miscarriage, which is understandable. Honestly, I thought that the reason she was acting stiff wasn’t (as bad as this may sound…) because she didn’t want a man that couldn’t walk. During the show, Alex had a flashback that disclosed the truth. Alex did not lose the baby, she got rid of it. Yup, she had an abortion and nobody knows but her. I had also thought that maybe she really did lose the baby, but she wasn’t as devastated because she probably did not feel ready. An abortion did not cross my mind at all. Now, we have to wait and see if she’s going to tell or if somebody else might find out.

3. Jahil’s real murderer. Okay, so in the last scene of last season, Jahil (the girls’ first manager) was seen killing Hunter and Eva while they were having sex. Hunter was Star’s abusive boyfriend and Eva was a girl that slept her way into the group with Jahil (a mess, I know). Now it appears that Jahil got shot as well right when he shot those two. Throughout this episode, it was all over the news that the killer was wanted. Jahil is Carlotta’s former lover/baby daddy and she did seem affected as to what happened. In the last scene while she was watching the news, the “murder” was identified. Looking at this she had a flashback…and it turned out she was the one that killed him. To me, this was the biggest shocker out of the whole episode because she had no reason to kill that man. Now somebody’s in jail for a crime they didn’t even do.

By the end of this episode, I was literally frozen. Apart of me wanted to scream and the other part didn’t know what to do because I really was not expecting for these events to occur. The season premiere of Star was incredible. It really did leave its audience in suspense and wanting more. What did Eliot really want with Cotton? How will Alex tell Derek about the abortion or will she even tell him? Why did Carlotta kill Jahil? There’s so many questions that needs to be answered and I definitely will be looking for the answers in the episodes to come.

Photo Credits: Image

Born and raised in Covington,GA , Jayla Ores is a freshmen at the Illustrious Clark Atlanta University. She is majoring in Mass Media with hopes of having her own talk show.