This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

The shows we grow up watching will always have a special place in our hearts. They shaped our childhood, influenced our personalities and taste in entertainment. And although we regretted reaching the final episode, when we did, it earned its spot in the hall of fame. Watching reruns of shows you loved as a kid is nostalgic. It brings you back to that moment in time when you had to wait for new episodes. Viewers love these shows so much that when they hear that it’s getting a reboot, it brings on a wave of conflicting emotions.  

New Girl Nick Miller Emotional GIF
Giphy / Fox

Reboots can be good for a beloved series or destroy its legacy. Some feel classics should not be touched, especially if the show fulfilled its purpose fully. The only time a show should have a resurgence is when it is left on a cliffhanger or the plot is unfinished. Others feel a reboot is supposed to bring new stories. That’s the good part about it. New stories with the characters we already love. Either way if the new episodes do not live up to expectations or give the feel of the original show, it can have a bad impact and mess up its legacy. 

Both sides are very true, but nonetheless I can’t say I’m not excited to see some of my favorite shows coming back. “The Proud Family” and “Animaniacs” are both making their way back on our tv screens, and fans can’t wait to see what the writers do with them. 

Friends Excited
Giphy

“Animaniacs” was a show of pure comedy. It made its debut in 1993 and ran for five seasons, ending in 1998. Although the show started and ended before I was even born, it is still one of my favorites. Yakko, Wakko and Dot may be annoying in their world, but in our world they are wildly funny and too cute. “Animaniacs” is a timeless classic that all generations love. It even incorporated education but in a fun way. Wakko’s states and capitals song reigns supreme. With its reboot, the plan is to introduce the characters to the world we live in today. Steven Spielberg is the executive producer and decided to keep the original design of the show, which is a great decision that fans will appreciate. If you want to watch, “Animaniacs” will be on Hulu Nov. 20th, and I will be watching. 

The Proud Family is one of Disney’s most popular shows. It was unapologetically Black and spoke on important issues, such as racism. Those working on the show say it will keep its central theme of Penny and her friends, with some new elements. The show will be introducing a new character voiced by Keke Palmer. The character, named Maya Leibowitz-Jenkins, is a teenage activist. With all that has happened this year and the show’s history of speaking on such topics, it feels more than fitting. It has viewers dying to see how they portray the events that have happened in 2020 alone. This is a reboot I am here for. The show will be on Disney+, but as of right now the official release date is unknown. 

Photo by Kon Karampelas on Unsplash

A reboot can be a good or bad thing. In the case of both “The Proud Family” and “Animaniacs,” I am more than excited. The directors of both have observed what has gone wrong with other reboots and are doing what they can to avoid those problems. I will definitely be tuning in, will you?

My name is Destiny Brooks and I am from Atlantic City, New Jersey. I attend Clark Atlanta University, majoring in mass media arts, with a concentration in radio,tv, film and a minor in theatre. My interests lie in the entertainment industry and and all aspects of Black life. In 2019 I wrote a review on the movie Black Panther, which was published in the Stockton Argo, my previous school’s newspaper.