This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

As one of the best seasons of the year comes to a close (spooky season, obviously) we are going to start seeing an overflow of classic Halloween movies and series from our childhood. These include but are not limited to; Casper’s Halloween Special (1979), It’s The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown (1966), Hocus Pocus (1993), Monster House (2006), The Shining (1980), Practical Magic (1998) and The Exorcist (1973). While all of these movies are undeniable classics, they simply don’t top any of Tim Burtons’ films. If you aren’t familiar with who Tim Burton is let me give you a quick brief background: Burton is a producer, screenwriter, and director from Burbank, California. In 1976, Burton enrolled in The California Institute of Arts where he studied and majored in Animation. Once he graduated in 1980, he started work at the OG of animation Disney, as an apprentice animator. After just one year, Burton grew tired of working for Disney and he decided to venture out on his own. In 1982 Burton released his award-winning short film “Vincent” and his career took off not too long after.

Burton is known for his films being dark, eerie, exciting and action-packed, and most of the time he makes movies age appropriate for children and adults. Burton has been in the film game for a little over three decades and is still making hit movies. In 1984 he transformed the Classic “Frankenstein” into his own “Frakenweenie” which then connected him to fellow film producer and writer, Paul Reubens. Reubens commissioned Burton to direct the comedy, “Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure” which was released in 1985. The release of “Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure” brought on huge opportunities for Burton, one of them including the production of “Beetlejuice” (1988), which was recognized for its visuals and intertwined themes of horror and fantasy. Some of his most famous movies include Alice in Wonderland (2010), Corpse Bride (2005), The Nightmare before Christmas (1993), Edward Scissorhands (1990) and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005).

Listed below are my ABSOLUTE favorite Tim Burton films, and I mean it when I say favorite. These are some of the few movies that I could replay for days on end.

Corpse Bride:

This was the very first Tim Bruton film that I have ever seen and I instantly fell in love. Corpse Bride is a British-American animated, musical fantasy film that was released in 2005. In a small village in Europe, main character Victor Van Dort (Johnny Depp) is set off to be married to Victoria Everglot (Emily Watson). The marriage was arranged between the couples’ parents because the Everglots’ needed their daughter to be married so they would not end up broke and homeless. Victor was so nervous to be married off that he just could not get his vows together, eventually, everyone got tired of Victor and his shenanigans so they sent him off to memorize his vows. While Victor was practicing his vows with the trees around him he accidentally married a corpse…

The Corpse Bride (Helena Bonham Carter) was murdered by her husband Lord Barkis Bittern (Richard E. Grant). Barkis was the main antagonist of the story and made some pretty foul decisions due to his greediness. For the folks who haven’t seen this yet, don’t worry, I won’t spoil the ending for you… But go check it out to fulfill your newfound curiosity. 

Charlie and The Chocolate Factory:

This is a classic and way better than the original version if you ask me. Burton took a different path from the usual dark and eerie vibes he so often gives us, and this time he gave us something more comical and light. The movie was also released in 2005 (what a time to be alive) and the cast consisted of Freddie Highmore (Charlie Bucket), Johnny Depp (Willy Wonka) and Helena Bonham Carter (Mrs. Bucket). I won’t go into too much detail because I’m sure most of us have seen it, but for the sake of reminding you guys of how great of a production this film was, I’m going to give you a quick brief understanding: Charlie wins a golden ticket in his chocolate bar which gives him the ability to tour the mystery candy factory owned by the peculiar, Willy Wonka. Every part of the factory is different and in every room, something out of the ordinary happens to the other kids on the tour. So if you are one of the rare few who has yet to see this movie, I suggest you stream it and watch it because you are definitely missing out!

The Nightmare Before Christmas:

This classic follows the adventures and misadventures of Jack Skellington, Halloweentown’s Pumpkin King. Skellington grows tired and bored of frightening people every year on Halloween. Somehow, the Pumpkin King stumbled into Christmastown and it was right. on. time. Skellington becomes fascinated with the bright lights and colors and the warm spirits and decides that he is going to kidnap Santa Clause so he would have control over Christmas. This movie is perfect for both Halloween AND Christmas! Also, the animations for the movie are pretty amazing considering it was made in 1993, so once again, if you have not seen this movie you definitely should.

Tim Burton is an absolute genius and the world of animation would be nothing without him. I suggest you all find some Tim Burton films and cozy up on the couch with some friends (or your boo), you’ll be in for a fun night, truly honoring spooky season.

CAU Woman, Writer, Creative Instagram:@Sola.ce