This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

It’s no secret that 2020 has been *extra* heavy on the hard times, for everyone. A virus that should’ve been taken serious from the very beginning has created this spiral of destruction amongst millions of people. From loss of income to online classes to simply quarantining, we’ve all been affected by, COVID-19. This virus has taken life to a whole new level, a level that we’ll never forget. Which is why, hoping and wishing for life to “go back to normal” isn’t as glorious as you may think it is. There is no such thing as normal and it’s going to take a bit of difficulty getting used to this complex, and unexpected situation. 

To keep my spirit at ease during this time, I’ve created my own guide to ensure that I stay on course while I juggle school, work… well honestly, life in general. Through trial and error, I created this practice called “The Art Of A…” which means, the art of acceptance, the art of adaptation and the art of application.

a woman sits at a wooden desk writing in a notebook. there is an imac in front of her.
Retha Ferguson | Pexels

THE ART OF ACCEPTANCE 

It sounds so easy, because it is. There are a lot of things that you’re going to have to accept in order to make room for growth and new life. We all take losses, and we all are old enough to understand that life happens. You’re not allowed to move back on campus? Accept it. You lost your job? Accept that. You can’t expect a blessing (or a miracle) if you’re dwelling on the past. It all happens for a reason, I promise. You just have to charge it to the game and keep on pushing. Trust the process. 

THE ART OF ADAPTATION

After you’ve accepted the circumstances, it’s time to adapt. Adapt to this new way of living. When I said that there is no such thing as normal, I meant just that. Covid-19 has slowed down a lot of things, like our need to be “on the go” all of the time. You need to take this time to breathe and to go with the flow. Let the chips fall as they may. Focus on right now, not what’s going to happen when quarantine is let up, or what life was like before then. How can you take advantage of being at home and socially distanced from others? 

phone screen that says stay at home
PhotoReady via Pexels

THE ART OF APPLICATION

Apply yourself to the fullest extent possible. Are you in school? Searching for jobs? Practicing self-care? In what ways can you diligently apply yourself? Organize your calendar to stay on top of assignments, rework your resume, discover the things that make you feel at ease. Apply yourself. 

“The Art of A…” sounds easier than it is, but with consistency and dedication, I promise you’ll be walking out of this situation better than before. It has taken me some getting used to, but it has worked for me. Life happens whether we like it or not, we just have to stay the course. Look at the bigger picture. In the words of Pop Smoke, “take your pain and make champagne”. Hard times don’t last forever, believe me. Be cool, and don’t rush the process. 

Warner Bros. Television

I am Jalondra Jackson, a multiform arts and culture writer, curator and enthusiast. Currently, I am a Junior studying Journalism and Business Administration at Clark Atlanta University. My portfolio is influenced by the ever-shifting industry of art and the underrepresented areas in the arts. I began this journey by serving as a content writer for Her Campus CAU and my university’s newspaper, The CAU Panther.