This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Budgeting is a dreadful task that many of us don’t know how to do. In fact, the day when a budget isn’t needed is a day that we all wish for. However, the day isn’t coming any time soon, especially since there are still student loans to be paid back. Taking the time to plan out your spending is what is going to save you this spring break! The rule of thumb when traveling is always to start early, but if you’re an adventurous soul like me, this almost never happens. So, from one adventurer to another, here are a few pro-tips to lower costs during your spring break trip.

1. Use the right apps

Thankfully, we live in an era of technology. All of the world’s information is accessed right from a Google search. Nowadays, there are numerous apps and websites that you can use to save money. Apps like Dosh and Ibotta give cash back on everyday purchases like gas, groceries, and restaurants. This means you can earn money back before, during, and after your trip! Other apps like GasBuddy, Groupon, and LivingSocial help you find the lowest prices on the market. GasBuddy specifically dishes out the lowest prices from the gas stations in your area. On the other hand, Groupon and LivingSocial will give out deals on any event in town. Whether, you plan on going to the amusement park, or to see your favorite artist, these two apps can definitely help you!

2. Road trip or no trip

Like I stated earlier, planning ahead is your best option without fail, especially if you want to secure your window seat on the airplane. We all know that the price of a plane ticket increases drastically as you get closer to your date of departure. Furthermore, the holiday season alone can result in your ticket costing more than you can afford. At this point, the only option left is to stay home or plan a road trip! Road trips can be a great way to bond and you have the opportunity to visit more than one city. Don’t hesitate to call up a group of friends, pack clothes and snacks, and hit the road for a lifetime of memories!

3. Debit and Cash Only

Remember when you received your credit card and swore it was only for emergencies? This is crucial to keep in mind anytime you travel. In a new location, we like to buy random items that we will never use. Furthermore, getting gifts for the whole family can cause damage to your credit. Be sure to keep your credit card secure in your wallet. This way you will eliminate the massive financial stress that will occur after your trip. Only use your credit cards for tasks like car maintenance or over-the-counter medicine.

As much as we hate budgeting, it’s something we have to utilize at this age. Moreover, taking on an adventure without a budget is quite risky. Give yourself a little peace of mind and actually organize your finances this spring break!

Da'Zhane Johnson is a Junior at Clark Atlanta University. She often finds herself eagerly waiting in a Starbucks line, or happily looking for new coffee orders to add to her collection. Her major is Mass Media Arts with a hard concentration in journalism, so in her spare time, she's usually writing. To read more of her articles, check her out on Instagram @bydazh!