Pushing Past Discouragement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

We have all experienced feeling disappointed by our expectations not being met, and as a result, we are left feeling discouraged.  Discouragement causes one to lack hope in succeeding in the next opportunity.  It also prevents one from going after opportunities, feeling confident, and following through with ideas and visions.  When another opportunity presents itself, you may think, “This opportunity may not be successful, therefore, what is the point of even being excited about it!?” or even, “I am too afraid to even try… look what happened the last time I expected something to happen for me and it did not.”  When discouraging thoughts come into your mind, you must remember that the disappointing experience was supposed to happen for a greater purpose, all will work in your favor, and you have the CONFIDENCE to keep moving forward! 

There are a few things I would suggest as you push past discouragement.  Number one, be mindful of what you speak.  Do not say things such as, “It was a waste of my time to try,” or, “The next opportunity will not work out for me.”  Such words quickly become beliefs, and those beliefs will affect your actions.  Speak words of positivity like, “I am still destined for greatness and better opportunities are ahead of me!” and, “I have the strength and diligence to move forward, and I will.”  I would also suggest opening up to someone that you trust about how you are feeling.  A lot of our healing is found in others, all we have to do is open our hearts up to them.  They will be able to encourage you through the moments where you are experiencing self-doubt. 

Lastly, keep moving forward!  You are strong enough to do so.  Do not allow yourself to soak in your pain, sadness, and disappointment because you will then miss out on the great opportunity that IS meant for you.  

Hi! Thank you for visiting my profile. I am a current junior at Clark Atlanta University studying Mass Media Arts(concentration Print Journalism.) My career aspirations include becoming an author, a film producer, a freelance writer, an empowerment figure, an entrepreneur, a multimedia producer, and working in ministry (I love Jesus!). May my craft inspire you to pursue your God-given gift and live a purposeful life-style.
I'm Alexis White, one of the founders of Her Campus CAU! Just a (not so) regular smegular entertainment professional. I have an eye for great movies, an ear for talent, and a Mac to make silly award-winning scripts! Therefore, I am a triple threat.