Products to Help You Embrace Your Beautiful Black Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Long, short, curly, or straight, a black woman’s hair is the most versatile by far! From weaves to relaxers to just wearing your natural curls, black women can do it all. Whether you’re addicted to getting that creamy crack (relaxer) or you’re rocking your fro, you should love your hair and take care of it. Here are some helpful tips and brands to look for when styling your hair-do! 

For My Relaxed Chicks

Many black women choose not to rock their natural hair and instead are looking for a straighter solution to their extremely thick hair. With so many different no-lye relaxers, it only takes one bad product to mess up your beautiful hair! Here is a list of some of the top relaxer brands that I recommend:

1. Alter Ego Linange No-Lye Shea Butter Creme Relaxer!
  2. Silk Elements MegaSilk No-Lye Relaxer
  3. Elasta QP No-Lye Conditioning Creme Relaxer
  4. Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil No-Lye Relaxer
  5. Vitale Olive Oil Sensitive Scalp No-Lye Relaxer
  6. Dark & Lovely No-Lye Conditioning Relaxer

Many of these relaxers cost anywhere between $5 and $15 and can be bought at stores such as Walmart, Target, or your local beauty supply store.

*Always read the labels on boxes before trying new products and never leave the product in your hair longer than instructed! 

For My Natural Sistas

The natural sensation that is sweeping the nation! Now, more than ever, black women (mysely included) are embracing the natural state of their hair. Whether you’re just transitioning from relaxed to natural or you’re in your fifth year of being “nappy and happy”, your hair is God’s gift! Here is a list of some of the most amazing and “curl-tastic” product lines for natural women that I recommend:

1. Miss Jessie’s
  2. Mielle Organics
  3. Kinky-Curly
  4. Carol’s Daughter
  5. SheaMoisture
  6. Camille Rose Naturals
  7. As I Am
  8. Karen’s Body Beautiful
  9. Cantu
  10. Goddess Curls

Many of the products featured in these natural hair care product lines cost anywhere between $5-$15 each. These product lines can be found at Walmart, Target, Walgreens, Sally Beauty Supply, and online. 

For My Weave Goddesses

From 12” to 36” and Indian to Malaysian to Brazilian, there’s a weave with your name on it. Whether you like your weave kinky curly, loose wave, or bone straight, the possibilities are endless. Picking the right weave is crucial and many of us take the time to research and review hair before purchasing because weaves are not cheap! If we’re putting it on our heads, for that price tag, then we want to be sure it’s going to look fabulous! Here are some of the top, affordable weave brands to look out for when purchasing the right bundles:

1. Pretty Hair
  2. Queen Virgin Remy
  3. Hair Are Us
  4. Glitzzy Hair
  5. Tresses Hair Extensions

Many of these hair lines have websites and Instagram accounts complete with hair models and more extended reviews. Prices vary from $59-$159 a bundle depending on length and texture. 

No matter whether you’re relaxed, natural, or love your weave, remember that you and your hair are beautiful! Always have fun with your hair and switch it up every once in a while!

Kayla Antoinette Walker has always been an ambitious and motivated young woman and has always set high standards for herself. She is an aspiring event/wedding coordinator majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing at the illustrious Clark Atlanta University in Atlanta, GA. She chose to attend Clark Atlanta after graduating Valedictorian of her high school class at Carver High School in Columbus, GA. As a senior, Kayla has a passion for mentoring and wants to bring a sense of pride and empowerment to the women of Clark Atlanta to encourage them to "be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire". Kayla says to always be a girl with a mind, a woman with attitude, and a lady with class. Go forth and be great!