freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

No Dating Zone: Why Females Put Guys in the Friend Zone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Many people have experienced being friend zoned or friend zoning someone else. Research states, the friend zone refers to a situation in which there is a platonic friendship between two individuals, but one person is experiencing unrequited romantic interest. Regardless of which side you’re on, the friend zone is NOT an enjoyable position. To make things a little easier, here are a few reasons why ladies friend zone guys. Maybe this is key that will help guys escape from the dungeon.

Attractiveness. There are levels to attractiveness, *cues in Meek Mill’s song Levels*. Seriously, there are levels to how ladies measure a guy’s appeal. Yes, you all are friends and you want to that take that next step ,but…. she’s just not that into you. My friend you are in a Class A situation. This situation doesn’t mean you are unattractive ,but maybe you just don’t fall into the criteria of guys that she prefers.

Class B, you have a charming smile and a chiseled hot body, but she’s only physically attracted to you. Good looks don’t last forever, ladies want a guy they can also carry a conversation about world issues and guessing the answers to the Family Feud questions. If you don’t have any other traits, just be happy that you’re still in the friend zone. Lastly, the Class C situation. As much as some of us hate to admit it, chemistry is a major factor when determining someone’s appeal. However, if you lack that “spark” of sex appeal, you’re taking a first class trip to “bro” land. Hey brother!!

Intentions are unclear. Most of the time, guys are not straight forward with their intentions. Stop sending mixed signals fellas and expecting us to understand what you want, lol we are not mind readers, even though we know everything there is to know about you. Get a grip and clearly state your expectations and needs. Don’t wait too late or you’ll become a thing of the past my friend.

Reputation. If you’re known as the “ladies man” that’s the automatic friend zone. There are many ladies who don’t want the guy that everyone admires to have nor the guy who has relations with every female. Who wants to be with somebody that’s been with everybody? Doesn’t quite sound like the prince charming women are hoping to meet. Next, is the “heartbreaker.” If everyone knows you go around dropping female’s hearts, the chances are slim that she’ll even let you in her heart. Lastly, the “seducer.” He’s famous for serenading females with sweet nothings to get what he wants. If you fall under any of these or something similar, don’t even try to make something work. Adios amigo. 

Value the friendship. Many times the friendship is too valuable to forfeit. We’re not saying its not possible to leave the friendzone,but if you’re a great friend, you’ll be waiting a long time for the reationship to develop. If she treats you like you’re her actual brother or says “ewwl I’d never go with —“, the friendship is not worth making things awkward by expressing your love to her.

Past relationships. The “girl code” is in full effect. Sorry fellas, as your female friend she will not date you if you had relations with one of her friends. She’s seen how you’ve treated other ladies and would probably rather stay the friend that stays out of your love life drama.

Life goals. If a dude does not possess the capabilites to lead, lacks ambition, and aren’t confident in pursing their goals, you can forget about leaving the friend zone. Heck, your time may be ending as a friend too. Many women are attracted to men with a vision, lol even if it’s to be the next Ted Turner or Sean ” Diddy” Combs. If the vision seems practical, she’ll be your biggest supporter! 

Guys, it’s not the end of the world when you don’t get “the girl.” Often times, being yourself ( ladies love a comedic brainic) and completely honest will attract the right woman just for you!

Kayla Antoinette Walker has always been an ambitious and motivated young woman and has always set high standards for herself. She is an aspiring event/wedding coordinator majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing at the illustrious Clark Atlanta University in Atlanta, GA. She chose to attend Clark Atlanta after graduating Valedictorian of her high school class at Carver High School in Columbus, GA. As a senior, Kayla has a passion for mentoring and wants to bring a sense of pride and empowerment to the women of Clark Atlanta to encourage them to "be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire". Kayla says to always be a girl with a mind, a woman with attitude, and a lady with class. Go forth and be great!