Function of Beauty
Function of Beauty
Original photo by Madeleine Bokan / Original Illustration for Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

New Growth to Retwist: The Ultimate Loc Wash Day Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Over the course of almost a decade (8 years specifically), I’ve used my hair as a way to express myself. From my favorite coil style,  to dying it completely red I’ve cared for my hair like it’s an actual person. Once I made it to college, my usual hair routine was at stake due to the little to no space in the bathroom and dorm room. As with anything, you accept things for what they are and move on so that’s just what I did. After spending thousands of hours on Google and YouTube I found the most efficient way to wash and retwist your locs in a healthy manner. Here’s the Ultimate Washday Routine for Locs:

*** QUICK DISCLAIMER: You’re going to need an entire Aloe Vera plant***

rain leaves nature green plant
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

WASH:

“PRE-POO”

Before I jump directly into the actual shampooing of my hair, I “pre-poo.” It sounds like such a crazy term but it does wonders for my hair. The “pre-poo” is used to moisturize, strengthen and give your natural hair a beautiful shine! To whip up this concoction, you’ll need: 

• Coconut Oil

• Olive Oil

•  Aloe Vera (Plant or Gel, I prefer the plant.)

Once you have all of the ingredients, grab a little bowl and mix the Coconut Oil, Olive Oil and Aloe Vera together. Once the mixture is thick (like a paste), it’s good to go. Store it for about 5 minutes in a tightly closed container. Once you are ready to apply the “pre-poo”, apply it to every inch of your head. I mean every hair strand. Let it sit on your hair for at least 15 minutes and then you’re ready to rinse. You may even apply it the night prior to your wash day. 

SHAMPOO

After the “pre-poo” is rinsed out, I separate my hair into two sections. I take (more than a dime size) some of the Nourishing Coconut Milk shampoo and lather it in my hands and then apply it from the scalp and then onto the actual locs. I repeat this for both sides. After I scrub my scalp real good, I rinse it all out (just as you would regularly wash your hair). 

Hair product I own- OGX
Ashley Painter

MOISTURIZE:

After the wash phase, I take some oil (that I pre-made) and apply it to my entire scalp. The oil is made with: 

• Aloe Vera (diced)

• Extra Virgin Olive Oil

• Coconut Oil

You take the diced aloe and cook in a pan over medium heat. Once the aloe begins to sizzle, add both the coconut oil and the Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Allow all of this to cook for 10 minutes. After it’s done cooking, put it to the side and let it cool then put the oil into a bowl, squirt bottle, something that you can easily access. Apply the oil to your scalp and rub it in, be sure to apply it to the actual loc itself. 

RETWIST:

For this part of the process, I used my own retwist concoction. I used to use the Jamacian Mango and Lime Locking Gel but I decided to switch gears and go natural. Aloe is extremely wonderful for locs, it locks in moisture inside of the hair. The ingredients for this mixture are:

• Aloe Vera (scooped out of the plant).

• Tea Tree Oil (Essential Oil, 2 droplets)

• Peppermint Oil (Essential Oil, 2 droplets)

• Eucalyptus OIl (Essential Oil, 2 droplets)

• Sweet Orange Oil (Essential Oil, 2 droplets)

• Lemongrass Oil (Essential Oil, 2 droplets)

I take this mixture and I put it into the fridge but you don’t have to. Once I was ready to use it, I took some of the mixture and applied to loc by loc while retwisting it as well. 

fingers in jar of oil
Photo by Malvestida Magazine on Unsplash

As someone who has had locs for almost a decade, I take pride in having healthy, thick and flourishing hair. No one wants dry hair so I figured those that may need help with extra moisture could use this tutorial. Outside of this routine, take the time to oil your scalp every so often. You can use this routine every 2-3 weeks. You can put your own touch on this routine and add something or remove a step. Remember to take care of your hair!

I am Jalondra Jackson, a multiform arts and culture writer, curator and enthusiast. Currently, I am a Junior studying Journalism and Business Administration at Clark Atlanta University. My portfolio is influenced by the ever-shifting industry of art and the underrepresented areas in the arts. I began this journey by serving as a content writer for Her Campus CAU and my university’s newspaper, The CAU Panther.