This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

#TBT to when literally, about everybody, in 2012 thought that 2020 was going to consist of flying cars and pretty much all things futuristic. And though, we don’t have flying cars. We do have self-driven cars! (Kind of similar? right? Maybe not.) Unfortunately, 2020 isn’t as quite futuristic like we all hoped, however, we all have a pretty promising future. With that being said, I ask you: have you had a vision check for 2020? No, not with the one with your optometrist but the way that you see yourself. In what ways are you nurturing the relationship you have with you? Are you supporting and loving those around you? What plan do you have in place that is allowing you to achieve your career goals? This new decade, we are embracing prosperity, tranquility, and quality in every aspect of our lives. So first, let’s start with you.

#focusonSELF

Are we still saying, “New year, new me?” Or have we adopted a new phrase? The craziest things is, we say this every. single. year. It’s basically words with no action behind it and I’ve declared us to no longer hold off on becoming better. This means a better friend, sister/brother, daughter/son, person, etc. But to prosper in all of these areas you have to accept yourself as the perfectly imperfect individual that you are. I want you to take these next few months or year(s) to love yourself. There is no such thing as loving yourself too much. Release your inner trauma and heal your own wounds, because no one else can do that for you (unless you become co-dependent). Ever wondered why your relationships with others don’t work? It’s because you are looking for assurance within someone else. Your relationships with others don’t work because you need to take that time to focus on yourself or look after yourself. This could be mentally, physically, and emotionally. Exercise (quick walk to the store), meditate (become grounded/relaxed), journal, be spontaneous (do new things). When it’s all said and done, eventually you’ll be more stable, confident and happy with yourself. This takes time, no need to rush. It could take 3 months, 3 years or even 10 years, take all the time you need. You want fo be thoroughly healed because in order for those external relationships to succeed, the internal ones needs to be secured. 

#focusonOTHERS

This is second because self-love should always be your first concern. Once you strongly believe that you are at that point, it’s time to move forward. In the process of accepting tranquility into our lives, we need to not only treat ourselves better but also those around us! Are you kind? Trustworthy? Reliable? Honest? Non-judgemental? Even if you aren’t, you can rebuild that part of you. Believe it or not, your relationships with others play a huge part in your healing process. Whether it’s friendships, family, romantic or business relationships, they need to be healthy. This means patching up the ones that are broken. Apologize or accept things for what they are. You can not force anything. At the same rate, sit & think about the role you play in these relationships. Are you toxic? Are you legit? You can not expect great things to flow in your direction if you aren’t being authentic and heartening to others. What you give, is exactly what you receive. In fact, I can attest to this. As Ari Lennox mentioned, your material things can not teach you to swim, have sex with you or add to the enjoyment of your life… you need people! This starts with rebuilding and building stronger relationships with others. 

#focusonPASSION

I specifically say passion, because work, jobs, careers aren’t always what makes you happy. Your passion does. It ties into focusing on you. Love yourself enough to understand that you being a lawyer does not fill that void of you wanting to be a blogger. Don’t do something because the money is good. Do it because it makes you feel good. Being unhappy is the hardest feeling to cope with and you don’t want to have regrets later down the line. Figure out your passion. Take that passion and make a plan. How can you turn this into a career? I’m not going to say, forget about the financial aspect (we do need money) but, understand that if you are consistent the money will flow in. Have a plan and stick to it. I assure you that following your passion will aid in a life filled with quality. 

No, I am not a licensed professional, just a journalist who’s prescribing you “tunnel vision.” Stay focused on the things that benefit you, greatly! There will be obstacles but staying true to your set intentions will pay off in the end. Accept prosperity, tranquility, and quality into your life and get to work. 2020 is YOUR year, act accordingly. 

GET IN THE MOOD: 

a. https://open.spotify.com/user/ayolondraa/playlist/4XaKcZrUn8nGP6PV5OcoBI…

b. https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/morethanaboss/pl.u-RRbVv1JIm6Bm7v

I am Jalondra Jackson, a multiform arts and culture writer, curator and enthusiast. Currently, I am a Junior studying Journalism and Business Administration at Clark Atlanta University. My portfolio is influenced by the ever-shifting industry of art and the underrepresented areas in the arts. I began this journey by serving as a content writer for Her Campus CAU and my university’s newspaper, The CAU Panther.