Loving Yourself 101: Three Ways To Gain Confidence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

If you struggle with loving yourself, embracing your flaws, and living in your truth, understand that you are not alone. Also, keep in mind that confidence isn’t something you can gain overnight. It took me a few years to fully get over my insecurities and realize how valuable I was. My flaws were minor, but eventually, I learned how to accept them. Little did I know; those same “flaws” are what make me beautiful. Now that I am confident, I can honestly say I love the fact that I have big eyes, a dimple in an unconventional place, and a skinny nose. Those attributes make me unique and I like to enhance them/show them off whenever I can.

Enough about me, here are three ways to gain confidence and love who you are on the inside and out.

1. Embrace your flaws

You won’t be content with yourself until you accept whatever it is you don’t like. If it’s fixable, go ahead and change it. If it’s not, don’t. You’d be surprised how many people admire the same features you hate.

2. Don’t attach your confidence to anything.

A lot of girls only feel confident when they are looking their best. There’s nothing wrong with beating your face and changing your hair every other week, but learn to love yourself when you’re fresh-faced without your hair being “done.” If you attach your confidence to your lashes, outfits, makeup looks, and hairstyles, are you truly confident? Just make sure you still feel beautiful when you take it all off.

3. Be proud of who you are.

Never apologize for being yourself. It takes a lot of courage to consistently live in your truth. If you’re loud, flamboyant, shy, or weird – be proud of it! At the end of the day, it’s your life. Also, don’t allow someone to make you feel bad about being yourself. Unless you are harming other people, continue to do you. 

Freshman at Clark Atlanta University from New York City. Business Administration major & Fashion Merchandising minor.