This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

On Wednesday, March 17, 21-year-old Robert Aaron Long went into three Atlanta massage parlors and murdered eight people. Their names are Soon Chung Park, Suncha Kin, Yong Ae Yue, Hyun Jung Grant, Delaina Ashley Yaun, Paul Andre Michaels, Xiaojie Tan and Daoyou Feng. This is not an excusable case of a “sex addiction” gone wrong. This was not just a “bad day” as Captain Jay Baker of Cherokee County claimed in his press conference. We should call this despicable act what it is. This is a hate crime. This and the many racial events leading up to this is a prime example of why genuine allyship is important. 

The senseless act on March seventeenth was an inexcusable hate crime. We have seen countless crimes against people of color in America. It feels like an unbreakable cycle. It is time to make a difference. 

Justice has to be served and people need to understand that these hateful acts are unacceptable. Hate crimes happen like clockwork in America, and we are expected to feel as if it is normal. This is not normal. The media’s dedication to making killers the victims of the crimes they commit is disgusting. We must recognize those who are the real victims and fight for their safety. This is now the time. 

Genuine allyship is one of the most important things we can do in this time of need. 2020 brought about many images of what allyship looks like. Whether that is making a post to educate people, donating to charitable organizations, protesting, and more. Allyship is standing together without being asked, having courage, and fighting for the justice of others. If we want to see change, we have to show up for one another.

The many protests in summer 2020 show that we are capable of being allies and making change. That cannot stop there, we have to continue to make strides like this in order to be the change we wish to see. Turning a blind eye is not an answer. No contribution to helping fight for justice is too small. There are many ways to help. Start petitions, use your voice for change, or even educate yourself on current issues happening in our country! 

The fight for justice and safety everywhere must happen. Let’s lean on one another to create the change we know we deserve. 

India Rice, 19, is a Mass Media major at the Illustrious Clark Atlanta University.