Wellness > Mental Health

I Went to A Girl’s Night That Went Completely Unexpected

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

When someone mentions a girl’s night, what concepts pop up in your head? Perhaps you imagine your best friends getting dressed up and everyone racing to the closest party. There’s even a chance that you go to the best restaurant in town to spend a whole paycheck. However, for a lot of women the night may consists of staying inside completely. You and your group of friends collectively search for the perfect chick flick that just so happens to be to relatable. No matter what your ideal girls’ night out is, there’s a reason why you need one to exhale.

One day I received a call about attending a girl’s night at my friend’s home. The night would include us heading to the grocery store, cooking a nice meal, and even playing a few card games. So, I of course said I would attend as a good time and a good meal are always my cup of tea. My friend informed me that women I didn’t know would also be present, but this didn’t bother me at all. It’s the beginning of my sophomore year, so meeting new people is definitely on the agenda. By the end of the conversations, I was told to stay on standby for the time to pull up.

The meal for the night was a simple and delicious dish everyone enjoys–chicken alfredo with garlic toast. Three of us headed to the grocery store for the ingredients we needed and other little snacks. When we were leaving, we realized it was a bit late, however, we decided not to cancel. It was a Saturday night after all, so we just headed to the house.

Once everyone arrived at the house, the vibes were good. Everyone was getting along perfectly. There was a variety of R&B playing in the background as we cooked and talked. At this time, it was about a half till midnight. I’m not sure how it began, but emotions started to pour out. Looking back on it, it could’ve been the music, or even the comfort of feeling safe among each other. Whatever caused the shift, turned out to be the best part of the night.

What was supposed to be a night of food and games, turned into a night of vulnerability and sisterhood. I learned unexpected childhood stories and painful events about these women, that I wouldn’t wish on anyone. Now this isn’t a story to air out anyone’s business at all, but it is one to highlight the importance of women exhaling through their issues in a safe space. I felt myself wanting to cry, laugh, and fight with these women that I had just met two hours prior.

As women, we constantly see the talk about uplifting each other. The theme of exhaling pushes the first step of uplifting. The idea is to make yourself vulnerable with each other and using this same vulnerability to emphasize a positive change, whether that change be within yourself or within your community. By releasing your inner demons, you can recognize a solution, better yourself, and break boundaries. This is what I received from that night. I was vulnerable to the point of tears. Saying your feelings out loud always has the hardest effects.

I encourage you to continue to have a variety girl’s nights. Where one is all about dancing and bottles. But on the otherhand, one allows you to dive deep into your emotions and progress your mental health. However, don’t let girl’s night be a mask of emotional trauma. Take the time to release all your negative energy with your friends, then go celebrate the betterment of yourselves at the club.

Da'Zhane Johnson is a Junior at Clark Atlanta University. She often finds herself eagerly waiting in a Starbucks line, or happily looking for new coffee orders to add to her collection. Her major is Mass Media Arts with a hard concentration in journalism, so in her spare time, she's usually writing. To read more of her articles, check her out on Instagram @bydazh!