sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

How To Make Black Friday The Best Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

What is Black Friday? For many of us, it’s a day of financial liberation. On the contrary, others may call it an unofficial holiday of the United States. However, the term didn’t always have a positive connotation or relate to a holiday. Originally, Black Friday was used by the police in the city of Philadelphia.  In the 1950s, people raided the city after the day of Thanksgiving. Cops were required to take extra shifts and were left with the responsibility of the dealing with traffic and crowds. In addition, there was a higher rate of shopping lifting.  

Nowadays, people participate in Black Friday to snag exclusive discounts. Most customers find it as a great opportunity to go Christmas shopping, although everyone is quick to admit that the process is quite stressful. There are so many people trying to get the best deals and the perfect gifts, so tension is bound to arise. Furthermore, there can be too many deals to keep off with. Therefore, how does one find the best prices and manage their efficiency when shopping? Here are a few tips to keep in mind when prepping for Black Friday.  

1. Research. Research. Research! 

The first thing you should always do is research. This includes window shopping the items you want or simply browsing for the perfect deals. It is important to remember that a good deal does not always mean a good quality product. Although we all want to spend the lowest price as possible it is not always beneficial. This tip is crucial when wanting to buy big ticket items, like electronics.  You have to make sure that the product is up to your usual quality standards. 

2. Prioritize Your Stores 

Let’s be real, you will not be able to get everything on the same day. There will be hundreds of people looking for the same items as you. Furthermore, you cannot be in every store at once. If you add up the time it will take you to check out, there is simply not enough time in the day to reach every store you want to shop at. Take the time to figure out which store will give you the most savings or give you the majority of your items. Moreover, being able to get the majority of your items out of one store will also save time!

3. Check Online and Sign Up 

A large number of stores offer opportunities to customers with reward programs. This may be as simple as signing up for email notifications about upcoming sales. Other stores may offer rewards cards that can accumulate redeemable points. Basically, more points can equal more savings. Make sure you at least keep up with the reward programs of the store you prioritize. They may have extra discounts you can add on top of the Black Friday sales. Finally, follow the store on social media to stay in the know of all sale conditions! 

Black Friday can be stressful, so take the time to have a strategic plan. These tips can even make it easier to save all year round. Stay safe on Black Friday and have fun shopping!

Da'Zhane Johnson is a Junior at Clark Atlanta University. She often finds herself eagerly waiting in a Starbucks line, or happily looking for new coffee orders to add to her collection. Her major is Mass Media Arts with a hard concentration in journalism, so in her spare time, she's usually writing. To read more of her articles, check her out on Instagram @bydazh!