Hannah Scott: Miss Black and Gold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Meet Hannah Scott, Clark Atlanta University’s newly crowned Miss Black and Gold 2018-2019 for the Alpha Phi Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc! Hannah is a first year, Biology major from Memphis, Tennessee. The new Miss Black and Gold does it all. Along with being a student, Hannah is a hairstylist and a dancer. She even won “Best Talent” in the pageant. Standing on her Platform “A Heart of Gold,” Hannah has high hopes for the upcoming academic year. Her Campus CAU got the chance to sit down and talk with Hannah about her new title.

HC:If you had to pick five words to describe yourself, what would they be?

HS: Assertive, persistent, committed, tenacious, and optimistic.

HC:What has been the worst and best part of your freshman year of college?

HS: I would say the worst part was getting adjusted to being away from home. The best part was ending my first semester with a 3.8 GPA.

HC: You were recently crowned Miss Black and Gold 2018 for the Alpha Phi chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. What inspired you to run to be Miss Black & Gold 2018-2019?

HS: What inspired me was the fact that I get to be apart of something that people look up to. I also get to do things that have a positive impact on my school and the community.

HC: How did it feel to win?

HS: It felt good. It just felt like I accomplished something that was really hard. I was competing against so many great girls and for me to win, it was like I really did something great and I did better than I thought I would do.

HC: What did you learn from the pageant process?

HS: I learned how to not fold under pressure, how to take criticism, and make mistakes. I learned not to look at criticism and mistakes as a bad thing but to look at it as me doing better.

HC: Did you learn anything new about yourself through this?

HS: Well, I thought I was patient. But being in the pageant, I learned that I wasn’t as patient as I thought I was.

HC: Did you have any worries or fears going into the pageant?

HS: The fear that I wasn’t going to win. Everybody has that fear, but just knowing that I put my best foot forward. So, even if I didn’t win, I know that I gave my all.

HC: Did you receive any advice from the past queens?

HS: The previous court gave us good advice. They told us to make sure that we did what we had to do to get our names called. Put our best foot forward, and do what we have to to do, but also help others. Like, make sure the pageant was good as a whole, but still put your best foot forward.

HC: Can you tell me more about your platform, “A Heart of Gold?”

HS: It’s to insure that we all live healthy lifestyles and treat our bodies as temples. Some people are scared to keep up with their health. My mom, she was diagnosed with breast cancer so that’s what made me pick my platform; health. My grandma, she has a lot of health issues, too. So, basically, if you start working on your health while you’re young, it shouldn’t be a problem when you’re older.

HC: What are your goals for the 2018-2019 school year as Miss Black & Gold?

HS: My court and I, we have so many goals to accomplish. First, I want to make sure that we all implement our platforms. For starters, I want to make sure that the school is educated on health awareness, which ties into my platform, “A Heart of Gold.” Ultimately, we want to be an example to the incoming class and show them that with hard work and diligence you can do anything that you put your mind to.

Thank you Hannah for the interview! You can follow Miss Black and Gold on Instagram and Twitter @hannah_carnae 

My name is Taj'Zhere Dillard and I'm a freshman, Mass Media Arts major at Clark Atlanta University!