Get Rid of the Statues?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

There is a difference between praise and recognition.

Recently in Charlottesville, VA, white nationalists protest against the Charlottesville’s town council decision for the removal of Robert E. Lee’s statue. Robert E. Lee was an American general of the Confederate Army during the American Civil War from 1861 to 1865. Lee’s statue was placed in Charlottesville, in 1924 well after the Civil War and Robert E. Lee’s death. The controversy soon began in the 2000’s. It is argued whether the  statue was placed in Lee Park for historical significance or  because of place offense on African-Americans, to remind them of such oppression that was and continues to go on.

On August 12, 2017, the “United Day Rally” was held in Charlottesville. A White Nationalist, James A. Field, drove into a crowd of protesters who were against the statue of Robert E. Lee remaining in Lee Park. Field drove into the crowed and killed 32 year old, Heather Heyer. Many believe that this is an example of the negativity that the statue and its supporters are reigning across the United States.

Others believe that the statue symbolizes “the culture of the South and Confederate States.” But there is a difference between recognition and praise. Robert E. Lee’s statue is praised in Virginia by many while people of color, mainly African-Americans, feel as of the statue represents the oppression that the black community has endured. Why does the statue have to remain in public? If the statue symbolizes culture and not praise, why not put it in a museum? Many people of color believe that the statue in its entirety should be taken down. But we lack understanding! The statue also represents our history as a community. We must educate future generations on the oppression that we have endured and have fought to surpass. History is not always a bright ray of sunshine. We do not have to praise the statue of Robert E. Lee but me MUST understand that in order to build and change as a people, we must accept the harsh realities of our history. Take the statue down, of course! But do not try to erase the importance of it.  It is important for us to acknowledge his role in making us the black community that we have become today.

Robert E. Lee’s statue is one of many Confederate statues around the United States. The United States should acknowledge the oppression that the Confederates have put on our country, (and continue to do so,) but the statues and Confederate related objects and events should not be praised and brought out to bring fear upon people of color.

Hello, My name is Carlina Lominy. I am a graduating senior Political Science major at THE Illustrious Clark Atlanta University. I am originally from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and enjoy reading and writing! You’ll often find me with my head in my books, and/or doing research.