This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Need a new music obsession? Ever heard of slept on artists? H.I.M. is the epitome of slept on, and I haven’t been able to stop listening to his music. “Her in Mind,” is making a name for himself in the music business with his amazing voice and mysterious persona. A month after H.E.R. made her debut with H.E.R. Vol. 1, he came out with his “responses” to her songs; a perfect R&B album full of his soulful tone, smooth beats, and thoughts and emotions from the man’s POV, something we don’t hear much. If you’re looking for the perfect music to just vibe out to, get into your feelings (sad or savage), or just overall relate (no matter your gender,) you’ll fall in love with H.I.M, his music, and his humble personality. HCCAU had the great opportunity to interview this upcoming star and picked his brain with the questions about things y’all were probably wondering too! 

Q: Did you find out about H.E.R. at the same time the rest of the world did? 

A: I found out about H.E.R. a little bit later than the rest of the world, honestly. I heard it and loved the vibe. I had gotten a call from my bro, Juice, and he was like he had an idea. He asked if I had heard of H.E.R. then proceeded to ask me what I thought of the idea of making a H.I.M. and the rest was history.

Q: How do you feel about being a secretive artist? Does it bother you that no one can identify you if you wanted them to?

A: I have my moments, but I’ve come to terms with it because it allows me to be normal. H.I.M. is an entity within itself. It’s like Batman and Bruce Wayne. I’m taking over the city of Gotham in the shadows, pun intended lol.

Q: Do you think H.E.R. is a fan of your music? If she wasn’t, would you keep making responses for the fans?

A: At this point, it becomes about the fans. I’d be doing a disservice for those who are a fan of mine to stop making music because of someone else’s thoughts of me and what my team and I decided to do. 

Q: If offered the opportunity, would you be open to doing a joint album with H.E.R. or do you prefer creating your separate responses on the spot?

A: My team and I are business-men first. We would always entertain an idea if it makes sense. H.I.M. and H.E.R. just makes sense. We would be open to the idea because the world would enjoy something as fresh and innovative as this. Shaking the RnB/Hip Hop culture up a little bit. But we don’t mind the banter either. All’s fair in love and war.

Q: Do you feel personally connected to your music or is there a type of distance because your tracks are “responses” to someone else’s music?

A: Absolutely, there is a personal connection because of the message that I relay in the music. For every action, there is an equal and opposite “reaction” or in this case a response. It’s like if you’re in a debate and there is a main topic. You hear what the other debaters have to say about the subject, then you give your opinion or rebuttal than you let the people decide who they want to relate to.

Q: How would you react if someone began to make reaction music to your music?

A: Haha, that would be interesting. Their narrative would just have to be on some other sh*t and the world would have to get it, otherwise it wouldn’t work.

Q: Who do you want to collab with?

A: Bruno Mars and Ed Sheeran. Bruno for his showmanship and vocal ability and Ed Sheeran because of his penmanship.

Q: If you had to pick three songs to perform on the spot, which 3 would you pick?

A: Lights Out, Habits, Secure.

Q: Did you enjoy creating Vol. 1 or Vol. 2 more?

A: Both of them equally because of the progression and growth during the process of each project. So, different but similar in some ways.

Q: How do you want to be described as an artist? Like, if someone says “Who is H.I.M?” how do you want them to respond?

A: H.I.M. is for anyone who keeps “Her In Mind”. Men have emotions and often don’t express them the way we should because it’s viewed as soft or whatever. My job is to be the voice for those men who feel the same way I do because my emotions are real, my story is real, my life is real. I want people to hear me and say “damn, I feel you, bro.” I want to be described as a visionary, seeing something that most people don’t. My team and I see the bigger picture so if you don’t get it now, you will later.

Q: Where are you from?

A: Queens, New York.

Q: Movie or TV show (or both) you loved growing up and which character would you be?

A: Dragonball Z and I’d be Goku. He wanted to be the best fighter in the world. He would push himself to limits beyond his limits to get to another level. He would get excited when there would be a challenge presented to him, he  would take it on head first. He was never satisfied, and I can relate to all of these things. Even though it was just a cartoon these were the things I took from that character which I feel is within me. I have no limits.

Q: If you were to create your own music, not response tracks, what would you have in store for the fans? 

A: Listen to the next project lol.

Q: When are you coming to the AUC?!

A: when we get that call that y’all want me there! We will make that happen.

Follow him on Twitter and Instagram @herinmind to stay updated!

And check out his music available on ALL platforms!

His new single “Finesse It” is out now! (Plot twist, it’s not a response!)

Hi! I'm Taelor Dorsey, a senior Early Childhood Education major with a minor in art from Cleveland, Ohio.