This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

(photo retrieved from @dosdias_ on Instagram)

SN: What kind of music did you grow up listening to? How did that impact your sound?

DD: The funny thing is that it was everything except hip-hopp. I say that, because my mom couldn’t stand the rising hip-hop artist that, specifically all artist from the South. When we moved to Georgia in 1999, my uncle moved in with us so that was my only way of sneaking to listen and watch rap videos. I’ll never forget that one of the first songs and videos I saw was Mystikals , “ Danger “. The video was so raunchy, but I couldn’t stop watching it. My folks are West Indian, so I grew up listening to majority of the genres of music that developed in the Caribbean: Reggae, Dancehall, Soca, and Calypso. I also grew up listening to the R&B artist of the early 2000’s with Musiq Soulchild being my favorite. I guess I never thought about how it impacted my sound until you just asked. Thinking about it I realize that these genres all include my obsession for Vocal Harmonies. When I am in the studio as an audio engineer, I force all my singing clients to do Harmonies lol. When im djing, I promise you if the two songs I’m blending don’t produce a harmonic sound then I probably won’t play it. HARMONIES MAKE EVERYTHING SOUND BETTER!

SN: What song did you sing at your first talent show?

DD: Man, you found out I sing lol. My first talent show was in the 4th Grade. I sung was “My Girl “by the Temptations. I won the talent show and shortly after I landed a role as David Ruffin in a Motown play my school was doing. I wish I could find that tape of VHS.

SN: It’s rare to find your passion and decide your future career at age 12 and pursue it, how did you come to that conclusion so early?

DD: It was my dad. He was my number one supported. I came home one day and I told him I wanted to do music for the rest of my life and he told me to just do that. He also saw that I sucked at all sports so I’m sure that caused him to be even more encouraging. He said to me that “Can’t is a man who never tries”, and to this very day that quote lives with me. You see, at the age of 12 I really didn’t really know if this would be more future career. I just knew that I couldn’t be that guy who didn’t try.

SN: When was the first time you stepped into a studio? What was that experience like?

DD: Before stepping in to a professional studio, I built my own setup in each House that I lived in. It wasn’t until I took engineering courses from 13 to 16 that I stepped foot in a studio. Honestly, the experience was amazing. I loved the fact that I wasn’t just in my basement teaching myself how to mix vocals and production anymore. I was being critiqued, something that I love because I believe it’s only way you can get better at anything.

SN: Who is DJ Dos Dias? What’s the significance behind your name?

DD: Dos Dias is a lover of sound. The “DJ “part only exist in settings where I’m djing. I purposely don’t brand myself as “Dj Dos Dias”, because I work hard to be a man with many hats. I DJ, Audio Engineer, write, sing, and produce. The name Dos Dias is actually Spanish for “Two Days.” It’s just a creative way of using my name “Dae Dae”, which is literally two days.

SN: Describe your creative process. What’s your favorite part of producing?

DD: It doesn’t matter if I’m making a dj routine, producing a track, or arranging vocals, I seem to always create based off emotion. My mood at that very moment guides me to creating. I’m a pretty private guy, but in all honesty, I’m an emotional wreck. The only way I know how to express that emotion is through music. It’s like therapy I guess. My Favorite part of producing would have to the END lol. I never know what direction anything I create goes so it’s cool to be able to look at what came about and watch how people respond to it.

SN: If you had the chance to work with any top producer/engineer in the industry, who would it be and what kind of project would you all produce?

DD: My favorite Dj is a Dj from Barbados named Dj Puffy, my favorite producer is Diplo, and my favorite engineer is Guru who is Jay Z’s engineer. Under the direction of Diplo, I would shoot for a project of a crossover sound of Soca and EDM. A lot of the djs I know aren’t fans of that production, but I love it. Soca is feel good music and so is certain elements of EDM. They just remind me of good times.

SN: How has your education and experience at Morehouse aided your career endeavors?

DD: Without Morehouse, I wouldn’t be a DJ, plain and simple. I’ve only being Djing since my freshman year and it’s because of the great friends I made who literally dragged me out of my dorm in LLC and said, “The Dj for Hump Wednesday cancelled on them and your going to do it right now.” From that day forward, I never turned back. I went from putting holes in folk’s apartments to the clubs, and I can’t help but thank God enough for where I’m at right now and the places that I’m going. As a business marketing major, I learned so much about branding and I could use myself as a test run.

SN: What was your first gig on campus? Which one was your favorite?

DD: My first campus gig was Hump Wednesday my freshman year and my first big college party was “Welcome to Atlanta 6” my Sophomore Year. I’ve done so many parties that it’s hard to pick a favorite, but being that I come from house parties it would have to be any house party that I’ve caused the floor to cave in at. Let’s me know that I’m doing my job!

SN: What has been your biggest challenge thus far?

DD: My biggest challenge has been balancing school with my bubbling career in music. They both require so much time.

SN: Other than creating and performing, what are your favorite things to do?

DD: Spending time with my family is probably the only other thing I like to besides sleep. I’m the oldest of 5 so there is always some type of entertainment at the house. I just love laughing so I watch a lot of comedies whenever I have down time.

SN: DJing seems like it takes a lot of energy, what are your pre-gig rituals?

DD: I’m nervous before anytime I get ready to perform. I just want to do so well and I want the audience I’m djing for to enjoy what I’m bringing to the table. For my ritual, I spend a lot of time in silence and continue to remind myself that I’ve come too far to turn back now.

SN: Why is music important to you?

DD: Music helps me communicate how I feel because I don’t always know how to say it.  It’s a way to express who I am inside through many different forms. 

SN: What are your goals for 2018?

DD: My goal for every year is the same. Its simple Do everything I didn’t do the year before.

SN: Are we going to hear more of your vocals in the near future?

DD: You know what, YES. Very soon!

It was such a pleasure diving into who Dos Dias is and what Dos Dias does! You can keep up with him via Instagram @dosdias_, Twitter @DosDias_, and his personal website iamdosdias.com!