Chelsi Glascoe, A Woman of Influence & Prosperity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.
Name: Chelsi Glascoe

Hometown: Largo, Maryland

IG/Twitter: @freecg

What inspires you? How God loves me, in spite of me. 

One thing you can’t leave the house without: Lipgloss. Seriously.

Short Term Goal: Master my craft of teen programming and maintaining an organized schedule!

Long Term Goal: To continue to free myself of every insecurity I planted as a child and to weed out every piece of baggage I picked up because of it.
I guess I would qualify it as a longterm journey–freedom.  

Favorite Quote: Pretty much anything my grandmother says.. here’s a few so you understand what I mean:
“Some people are not willing to make the changes you are already living. Leave them.” 
“You can’t teach what you don’t live.”

Favorite Food: Macoroni and cheese and candied yams. (Can’t have one without the other!)

Favorite Color: Mint Green. It’s like the most refreshing color of all. 

Hobbies: Swimming, reading (the bible–ITS ALIVEEEE!) , thrifting, spending time with family and friends

Favorite Hangout spot: My room

Why CAU: I love how Farron Manuel, SGA President 2014-2015, said it. “I didn’t choose CAU; CAU chose me.” I was on my way to Spelman. Yes, I purchased the $50.00 hoodie and everything (I’m a thrifter, so that says it all!). I had no intentions of attending CAU, but purpose has a way of placing you, even when you don’t know it. At CAU, I found my own way and was given the resources to be who I am. I was not molded into the “world’s” version of a strong black woman, but rather, I evolved (and continue to evolve) into the best version of myself. 

One piece of advice: Be honest with yourself, and walk in your purpose. For so long, and even to this day, I have to work on being a people pleaser; it causes you to be who they want you to be, not who you really are. You can still want world peace, roses and white picket fences, but make sure it does not come as an expense to you. No one is perfect. All you can be is your best self, so FREE YO SELF! Focus on doing what you know. If you make a mistake, so be it. Apologize and move on. Those who don’t get “it,” say goodbye and continue to live YOUR life–with class, honor, integrity and the POWER invested in you through Jesus Christ. Shalom X Nothing Broken X Nothing Missing.

Organizations involved in: Queens Corner Mentoring Program (Founder)

Job Occupation: I am currently the Executive Assisant to Judge Penny Brown Reynolds, as well as the Teen Director at the Boys and Girls Club (Samuel L. Jones).

You spoke in our HerCampus CAU meeting about the Boys and Girls Club, what do you want the teens to know about you and your purpose? I want the teens to know that to wait is to waste. When I was a teenager, it was not that I did not have dreams. I just thought that I needed a degree to go get them. I wasted my energy with dreaming and not doing. Often times, when I introduced myself in pageants, I would say, “Chelsi Glascoe, a dreamer, entrepreneur, AND doer.” My purpose at the Boys and Girls Club is to provide resources for teens to be exposed to opportunities in order to unlock their full potential NOW! 

What is the SisterTalk Conference? How can collegiate women be involved for this conference? The SisterTalk Conference is a women’s empowerment conference birthed by a great visionary, Judge Penny Brown Reynolds. Every woman and teen that enters the door is welcomed by the phrase “prepare for your healing,” as they embark upon several life changing experiences. This year’s theme is “The Place Where Dreams Begin,” which I absolutely love because it captures the purpose of the conference: to provide a safe haven for women to let go, learn and lead when they leave. Experiences during SisterTalk include hearing from Jennifer Holliday, America’s Original Dream Girl about the cost of fame, Christie Tucker on domestic violence, Lisa Williams on sex trafficking, along with sessions hosted by SunTrust on how to financially run non-profit and for profit businesses….and so much more! Even with the full scope of resources offered at SisterTalk on November 14th, Judge Penny Brown Reynolds has made the event FREE! 

If you are a college student and would like to volunteer please contact me at chelsi.glascoe@gmail.com. You can also attend as a participant, but make sure you register at www.sistertalkconference.com

Did you hold any specific titles on campus? What was your platform? Department Chair of Juvenile Justice, NAACP; 2nd Vice President of the NAACP; Sophomore Class Vice President; Miss Junior: “GLOW from the Inside Out—Developing the Junior Class Mentally, Socially, Emotionally, and Physically;” Miss Clark Atlanta University 2014-2015: “Putting an End to Being POOR- Passing Over Opportunities Repeatedly” 

As a recent graduate, where do you see yourself in the upcoming year 2016? In 2016, I see myself:
  • Continuing my service at the Boys and Girls Club in an even greater capacity. 
  • Traveling to different schools across the country as a keynote speaker and presenter, traveling to different schools as a keynote speaker and presenter, 
  • Publishing my first journal entitled “FYI-Find Your Interest,” a journal that asks thought-provoking questions in order to help youth find their passion and activate their purpose.

Thank you so much to Chelsi Glascoe for being featured as this week’s Campus Celebrity! We know that she will continue to do amazing things wherever she goes and make Clark Atlanta University proud!

Also make sure you get more information concerning the SisterTalk Conference. Don’t miss out on this phenomenal opportunity!

Hey everyone, my name is Yasmyne Fisher. I'm currently the President/Co-Campus Correspondent at Clark Atlanta University. I am a graduating senior, majoring in Fashion Design. My passion is writing on what people want to read, whether it is fashion, pop culture, being black in America you name it I love giving my perspective of a college student to readers.