Behind the Crown: A Talk With Miss Spelman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Standing on the platform, That’s L.A.W, Janna Perry is currently reigning as the 2017-2018 Miss Spelman College. A queen even before the crown, Janna Perry is down to earth with high hopes for this academic year. Her Campus CAU sat down with her to talk sisterhood, womanhood, and being Miss Spelman. 

HC: If you had to sum yourself up in a few sentences, who is Janna Perry?

JP: I guess if I had to sum up myself in a few sentences, I would say I’m someone who’s very kind but very driven at the same time. I have a lot of goals and I attempt to achieve them all. I’m definitely very driven but also compassionate. I care a lot, especially about children.

HC: What is your favorite color?

JP: Purple!

HC: Describe your perfect vacation.

JP: Definitely something out of the country. I love islands, so my perfect vacation would be to a small island somewhere, with my friends and family.

HC: Who is one person you look up to?

JP: My mom! I look up to her so much. She’s so hardworking. She’s taught me a lot about what it means to work hard, be a lady, and how to carry myself a certain way. So I would say I look up to my mom the most, and she’s just so wonderful and amazing.

HC: So being that Spelman College is an HBCU for women, what has Spelman taught you about being a woman, more specifically, a black woman?

JP: Being at Spelman has taught me more about sisterhood and what that means. I have a little brother so I already knew what it was like to be a sister to a boy, but I don’t have any biological sisters. So I think coming to Spelman has shown me that sisterhood looks like so many different things for so many different people. My same journey as a woman can be totally different from the next person’s. So I guess Spelman has taught me that everyone’s journey is different but that  there’s also a lot of power in sisterhood. When it comes to being a black woman, I’ve learned that we really have to look out for each other, because there will be times when no one else will. I’ve also learned that black women have a lot of responsibility when it comes to writing our own narratives, showing a higher standard of excellence, and uplifting ourselves.

HC:  As I mentioned in the last question, Spelman is an all women’s college. It’s a very beautiful thing when women get together and support each other. So what have you gained personally from the sisterhood that you found at Spelman?

JP: I think I’ve gained a sense of belonging. I’ve learned that it’s okay to be vulnerable. Growing up, I definitely knew that I belonged somewhere as a black women, but it was hard to figure out where sometimes. I went to a high school that was predominantly white. Not all the girls looked like me, and I didn’t always connect with the black girls on many levels. So, coming to Spelman I’ve definitely found my place. I feel like I have a home here.

HC: So you are Miss Spelman for the 2017 – 2018 academic year. What does being Miss Spelman mean to you and how has your experience been so far?

JP: The title “Miss Spelman College 2017-2018” ,to me, means service and giving back to a school that’s given me so much. Being Miss Spelman is kind of a full circle moment for me because I knew it was something I wanted my freshman year. To go through everything I’ve gone through throughout college and then to have this moment at the end of winning Miss Spelman, makes me really want to focus on how I can give back. So far the experience has been great. I’d give it a 10/10 although some days are harder than others. Overall, I love it and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

HC: So you’re platform was “That’s L.A.W.” L.A.W. standing for loving, affirming, and winning. What was the inspiration behind this platform?

JP: So, you know the song law? I really loved that song and thought it was really catchy so people would remember it. In my everyday life, I try to [focus on] how I can love myself and love other people, how I can affirm myself and affirm others, and then how can I win and help other people do that, too. So, I think that was the best combination of three things that make up who I am. With that, I was able to promote some of the things that I’m really passionate about. I’m really passionate about self esteem and you need all three of those things to have a positive and healthy self esteem and to build confidence.

HC: So, I saw that you recently did a  Life Class event. What inspired that event?

JP: It was inspired by Oprah! I watch Oprah’s Super Soul Sunday’s and her Master Class. So, I was thinking of how I could bring that to Spelman. People love to talk but they also like to feel connected. When I watch Super Soul Sunday or Master Class I feel like I can definitely connect with what they’re saying. I thought that it would be great if I could have mini sessions on campus for people to share their stories and learn from other people.

HC: So, you’re a political science major with a minor in sociology. What are your goals for the future and how do you think being Miss Spelman will prepare you for that?

JP: My immediate goal after Spelman is to go to law school once I graduate. My long term goal is to bridge the gap between communications and the law. But my passions revolve around children who have been affected by poverty and neglect. So I want to get into policy and programming to help children be their best selves. Being Miss Spelman has definitely been a big networking tool because you never know who you’re gonna meet. I can go and talk to people about the good news at Spelman but also about my personal passions. It’s given me an opportunity to learn more and connect with the people I’m really interested in working with.

HC: Since becoming Miss Spelman, how do you deal with the pressure of being a role model?

JP: I definitely believe that pressure makes diamonds. But I try not to think of it as pressure because it’s really just me being myself. I’d like to think that I carried myself the same way before I became Miss Spelman. So, I didn’t change after I had won. I think I got here because of who I already was. Which is someone who was very positive, friendly, spoke well, and loved to network and connect. Being a role model is such an honor for me, because I feel like I’m just doing what I always do. It’s overwhelming, sometimes, when people say they are inspired or encouraged by me because it feels like they’re trusting me with their dreams. It’s exciting as well, because I asked to be used in a way that would help other people. It’s a liberating experience, but humbling as well because it keeps me on my toes.

HC: What keeps you motivated and grounded?

JP: My faith in God, definitely keeps me motivated and grounded. Also, my ambition. I know that there is so much that is destined for me and so I have to get it. I can’t give up or quit. I can’t stop if things get too hard. I’ve learned, though, that motivation has to come from the inside. So, I’ve definitely had to learn ways to affirm, love, and encourage myself. I just remember to keep working because God put me here to do something great.

HC: So you’re a senior  and at the end of your matriculation at Spelman College. What has been your most humbling college lesson so far?

JP: Wow. That’s such a good question! I guess my most humbling lesson has been that you’re never too good to fail or too big too learn. I think life is our best teacher. Whether it’s internships, classes, or personal things, struggle happens and you can’t really avoid it. But it makes you so much stronger. So, I’ve learned that you have to fall before you can fly.

HC: At the end of the 2017-2018 school year, what would you like to have accomplished as Miss Spelman?

JP: I would like to accomplish a greater sense of self among the campus of Spelman. That might not be a tangible thing but more so a mentality or mindset. I want people to love themselves and know that they are here for a reason. So, I think I would like to leave a greater appreciation for all that life has to offer. Tangibly, I would love to leave a list of things that we cover over the year. It would be tips and tricks to give to the students to help with everyday life.

My name is Taj'Zhere Dillard and I'm a freshman, Mass Media Arts major at Clark Atlanta University!