All You Need To Know About Getting Your First Tattoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

The art of tattoos is an exciting process that has become the norm in our generation. In fact, many people crave some “new ink” and love the idea of a full sleeve. Unfortunately, like everything else in life, there can be some aggravating elements to getting tattoos. The health risks are obvious, but what about the other uncomfortable elements of the process that are unheard of? Recently, I got my first tattoo and there are somethings I wish I knew beforehand. Below I went ahead and gave you all a brief overview of these unspoken elements. Hopefully, these give you better insight on the tattooing process and what you should expect for your first tattoo!

1. Take the time to think about how long you will be at the tattoo parlor, then add an extra hour.

Personally, I hate waiting, specifically in situations where my anxiety is heightened. Your nerves become uncontrollable and the cold sweats start to appear. The whole ordeal is quite unbearable. Therefore, I wish I would’ve known how long the process would take. Now, the time can be unpredictable depending on the size, details, and shading, which is understandable. However, no one makes it clear that tattooing can eliminate your entire day. Be sure you don’t have any extremely important events going on during your tattoo appointment, and make sure you have someone to keep your company during the process.

2. If you’ve ever had the chicken pox, get ready for the same itchy sensation with your tattoo.

Your tattoo artist will proceed to explain the aftercare of your new ink and will warn you about the importance of not scratching. I am here to tell you again: do not scratch. You might find yourself reaching to scratch self-consciously, but still don’t do it. After receiving a tattoo, it will start to become permanent within your skin and its layers. The itching is a sign of this process. By scratching the area, you run the possibility of removing ink from your body. Many people recommend patting the area, but this can also be painful if the area is still sore. I have resulted in using the method of light strokes with my fingertips. The strokes aren’t as painful and don’t remove the ink.

3. Like a plant needs water, your tattoo needs to be moisturized constantly.

During the aftercare process, moisturizing your tattoo is essential. Not only will the area become dry and start to crack, but the itching intensifies. To make myself even more clear, if you want less itching you have to moisturize at least three to six times a day. However, do not over moisturize. This can cause your pores to clog and in extreme cases, ooze. Although, you may see scabbing on the tattoo, don’t confuse this with the need to moisturize. Scabbing is an additional element to the process that is necessary for healing. Keep track of when you apply your moisturizer every day and establish a routine. For example, I moisturize each night and by twelve in the afternoon the next day, I must reapply.

I am not saying that these elements should stop you from getting a tattoo. Like all new experiences, you must find what works for you! This guide is simply to provide more information for those looking to start their own tattoo journey. Remember to assess what you can tolerate and like always be safe!

Da'Zhane Johnson is a Junior at Clark Atlanta University. She often finds herself eagerly waiting in a Starbucks line, or happily looking for new coffee orders to add to her collection. Her major is Mass Media Arts with a hard concentration in journalism, so in her spare time, she's usually writing. To read more of her articles, check her out on Instagram @bydazh!