12 Tips for a Successful First Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.
  1. For every hour of partying, there should be 2 hours of studying! Learning how to balance your party life and study time is very essential for a successful school year. Try to get all your homework and studying done before you decide what your plans are for the weekend! 
  2. ALWAYS go to class! You never know when your professor will give out a pop quiz or extra credit! Professors DO note when you are absent from class which can possibly get in the way from a possible boost in your grade from a high C to a B at the end of the semester. 
  3. Make sure you get involved in extracurricular activities! Getting involved while in school can grant you the opportunity to network throughout the college community! 
  4. Write down all of your professors office hours abd locations. Try to at least visit your professor in his office 3 times a semester.  Be “that student” that always has their hand up and is always staying after class to get their professor to quickly look over their notes. Believe me, it will benefit you in the end! 
  5. Take smart notes. This is very essential to a successful school year. Find a note taking system that works for you, such as outlining, highlighting, or maybe even developing your own that works for you. 
  6. When saving your work, make sure you ALWAYS back up your files. You never know if your laptop is going to unexpectedly shut off on you. Your college years will be so much easier if you take a second while writing your paper and save your progress about every 10 minutes (if your computer doesn’t automatically do it for you). 
  7. Always wear flip-flops in dormitory bathrooms! Since you are now sharing bathrooms with about 8 other females, it is sanitary to make sure you have a pair of shower shoes. You never know what bacteria or viruses are living on the floor. A pair of shower shoes or flip flops can prevent you from developing things like meningitis, athletes foot, and other kinds of viruses no one wants. 
  8. If you aren’t a morning person, STAY AWAY FROM 8 AMs. While being in class, you should make sure that you are always present physically and mentally. Professors will  notice you dozing off during a lecture, EVEN if you sit all the way in the back! 
  9. See how your first semester goes before you consider getting a job. College is enough work by itself. Adding some campus activities and a job might drive you over the edge. Take time adjusting to your new college workload, and then make the decision if you can add a job into the equation. 
  10. Practice safety. Always have a walking buddy! Since we are located in a big city, outsiders can tend to find their way on our campus. It is important, especially at night, to always have a walking buddy whether you’re going to the food truck or to Walmart. Make sure you grab a roomie to take that journey with you! 
  11. Be open to meeting people from different cultures and with different interests. Going away to college gives you the opportunity to meet new people from all over the country and even overseas! You can learn about so many different cultures and backgrounds if you always have an open mind and don’t judge because people do things a little differently than you. 
  12. Lastly, try new things! Branch out, take day trips out in the city (with a buddy of course), and fully enjoy your 4 years of college in one of the most poppin’ cities! They will certainly fly by.
My name is Yasmine Washington. I am a Reporter/Writer for Her Campus CAU. I am a sophomore at Clark Atlanta University, Business Management major. I am absolutely in LOVE with puppies and my favorite color is PINK, duhhh.