gab ferreira
gab ferreira
Balaclava Records

Who Is Gab Ferreira: The Singer Who Sang For 40 People On Lollapalooza And Gained 100,000 Followers 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Due to the delay in opening the gates on the first day of the Lollapalooza Brasil, in São Paulo, Gab Ferreira, a 24-year-old girl from Santa Catarina, performed for an audience of 10 to 40 people. This generated so much repercussion that people asked themselves, after all, who is Gab Ferreira?

Born in Criciúma, Gab has lived in São Paulo since 2018. She sings in English and Portuguese and has released two albums and an EP. Her latest single is called Forbidden Fruit.

HER CAREER

She started her career on The Voice Brasil, in 2016. And went through the TikTok phase, pumping with the song “Not Yours”. After that, she initiated a contract with the Balaclava label and was an attraction at Primavera Sound São Paulo, in 2022. These were some steps in the singer’s career.

her sound

What inspired her songs was the fact that Gab Ferreira grew up in the 2000s and was very influenced by the pop girls of that era. Her songs, for her, are to “cry and dance a lot” at the same time. With the boom in recent years of the aesthetics of that decade, she felt a greater openness to create her songs. Gab says she is very connected with the moments she spends in her life, recording the discs, and communicating her phases to the listener through music. 

the case of lollapalooza 2023

About what happened at Lollapalooza, Gab said that this was her first big festival and when she found out the time, she didn’t have many expectations about the number of people. So even with the unforeseen, the singer took the stage and fulfilled what was agreed.

“Still shocked by the 100k! I’m so happy about all the affection I’m receiving at this moment, it’s so beautiful! And for those who don’t know me, how about going on my Spotify and checking out your new favorite song?”

Gab Ferreira

The reaction was a surprise and great for an independent Brazilian artist. Gab claims to have been quite shocked, but happy with the response from the public, who are sympathetic and supportive. In an interview with Marie Claire magazine, the artist said she hopes people want to dig deeper into her work and listen to her music.

Even with the number of followers gained on social networks, Gab Ferreira said she was upset with some comments, and did not want her show to be reduced to that. But why were there so few people in the show? The reason for that was that they were still getting in, there was a subway strike and a delay in opening the gates.

Someone had to do the first show and she felt very honored to be the person chosen to open the festival Lollapalooza 2023. Now, on Spotify, Gab has 63,200 monthly listeners, a number that might increase in the next few months.

👯‍♀️ Related: Reneé Rapp: Get To Know The Next Pop Obsession

—————————————————————-

The article above was edited by Giullia Cartaxo.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero’s home page for more!

Laura Mendes

Casper Libero '25

student of journalism, brazillian.