What Do You Know About Piseiro? Get To Know More About Barões Da Pisadinha

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

What do you know about Brazilian music? Actually, the country is known for the variety of music genres. Following a timeline, Brazil innovated with Bossa Nova, with Tom Jobim’s songs, especially “Garota de Ipanema”, which is the most covered song in the world. MPB, Tropicália, Axé, Forró, Pagode, Funk and Brega Funk came next. It’s clear that Anitta is dominating the Brazilian music scenario all over the world, but nowadays the wave of the moment in Brazil is Pisadinha and Piseiro. 

The first artist to popularize the rhythm os pisadinha in Brazil was Nelson Nascimento, also known as “O Rei da Pisadinha”, The King of Pisadinha in English. His first moment of success was in the middle of the ’00s, with a lot of hits that made history in the northeast states of Brazil and suburbs from the southeast. Pisadinha actually is a variety of Forró, a genre that started over 70 years ago with Luis Gonzaga. Now the rhythm is revolutionized by artists like Barões da Pisadinha, Raí Saia Rodada, and Thierry, who use electronic tools like synths and that type of resources, without leaving the essence of the classic genre. 

In Brazil, the most listened artist in Pisadinha is Barões da Pisadinha. The duo composed by Rodrigo Barão and Felipe Barão is making history with the genre. They’re both from the hinterland of Bahia. Just in 2020, they released dozens of singles that were reverberated among all classes, cities, and age groups of the country. 

Songs like “Tá Rocheda“, “Recairei“, “Basta Você Me Ligar”, “Chupadinha” and others stand on the Brazilian Spotify charts throughout the year, especially in December 2020, when, in a playlist with 100 songs, 10 were by Barões da Pisadinha. But the most interesting thing in Barões da Pisadinha’s explosion is that we can measure the real numbers, because the band is very popular among the poorest Brazilian classes, who usually download their music in pirated apps that do not count scrobbles. 

So, if you want to know more about the Brazilian music universe, click here to see our playlist on Spotify.

——————–

The article above was edited by Isabella Gomes.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Vitória Antunes

Casper Libero '23

Latin american journalism student interested in politics and culture. Call me when you want to listen a new cool brazilian band!