Twice In Brazil: Get To Know The Multinational K-Pop Group

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Okay, our prayers have been heard and Twice is finally coming to Brazil! Almost a decade after their debut with “Like OOH- AH”, the nine-member K-pop Group will pay their visit to our country after an uncountable amount of “come to Brazil” comments in their lives, posts — and everywhere they could see, honestly, we don’t get tired easily. If you just entered the fandom (make yourself at home, by the way!) there’s no need to panic. We’ll take it to the basics.

One in a million!

Twice’s members are Nayeon (28), Jeongyeon (26), Momo (26), Sana (26), Jihyo (26), Mina (26), Dahyun (25), Chaeyoung (24) and Tzuyu (24). The multinational K-pop Group was formed by the JYP Entertainment reality show “Sixteen”, where 16 girls competed for a spot in the originally seven slots in the group. Momo and Tzuyu were added as “extra” members for their talent and love received from the fans, now called Once.

Since their debut, their motto has been “one in a million”, which originated the song dedicated to Onces, with the same title in their third mini-album Twicecoaster: Lane 1. The name Twice was chosen because “they will be able to move people twice. Once through the ears and once through the eyes”. Also, the group’s official colors are apricot and neon magenta.

Their debut mini-album The Story Begins peaked at #3 position on the Korean Charts. Since then, they have released countless albums, mini-albums, EPs, and singles. Their first album to reach #1 on Korean charts was, Twicetagram, released in 2017. Their newest one is Ready to Be (the same name as the tour that’s bringing them here!).

Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Momo… and who? 

Now that you’ve learned a bit of their story, hold your apricot and neon magenta flags – Twice’s official colors – and sit tight, because it’s time to get to know them better:

• I’m Nayeon

The oldest one, Nayeon, was born on September 22nd, 1995, in Seoul. One of the five Korean members, she was the first one to get a solo debut, with the mini album IM NAYEON, released on June 24th, 2022. Her emoji is a rabbit, and her positions on Twice are Lead Vocalist, Lead Dancer, and Center. 

• Yoo Jeongyeon

Jeongyeon’s birthdate is November 1st, 1996. Unlike Nayeon, Jeongyeon was born in Suwon, a city only 30km away from the South Korean capital. In October 2020, JYP released a note that she would be entering a hiatus due to anxiety.

After she returned in January 2021, eight months later, the company announced that she would step back from activities again, due to panic and anxiety disorder. She then came back, officially, in February 2022. Her emoji is a bear, and her position on Twice is Lead Vocalist.

• Hirai Momo

Momo is also known as Twice’s dancing machine. Born on November 9th, 1996, she is the oldest one of the three Japanese members of the group, being born in Kyoto, Japan.

Alongside the other two members from the same country, Momo is part of the Japanese sub-unit “MISAMO”, which debuted this year on July 26th with a homonymous album. Her emoji is a dog and a peach, and her positions are Main Dancer, Sub Vocalist and Sub Rapper.

• Minatozaki Sana

The “shy shy shy” queen is here! Sana is also one of Twice’s Japanese members and was born on December 29, 1996, in Osaka. During the “Cheer Up” era, she became really famous for her aegyo (in simple terms, acting cute) in the line quoted at the beginning of the paragraph. Sana is also the “SA” in “MISAMO”. Her emoji is a hamster, and her position is Sub-Vocalist.

• Park Jihyo

Also known as “God Jihyo”, she is the member with the longest period of training: 10 years. Jihyo was born on February 1st, 1997, in Guri, South Korea. Her original name was Jisoo, but legally changed it during her trainee days. Jihyo had a solo debut this year on August 18th with the mini-album ZONE, being the second member to achieve that. Her emoji is a unicorn, and her positions are Main Vocalist and Leader.

• Myoui Mina

Although Mina is part of the subunit “MISAMO” and one of the Japanese members, she was born in Texas, US. She moved to Japan when she was a toddler, and had an American citizenship until 2019. Her birthdate is March 24th, 1997. Mina studied ballet for almost her whole life, and gave it up to become a trainee. Because of her amazing technique, her nicknames are “black swan” and “penguin”, and the last one is also her emoji. Mina’s positions are Main Dancer and Sub Vocalist.

• Kim Dahyun

One of the most popular contestants during the “Sixteen” days, Kim Dahyun initiates the maknae line (the youngest one in the group). Dahyun — also called “Dubu”, which means Tofu —, was born on May 28th, 1998, in Gyeonggi, South Korea. Her fame was due to a viral video of her doing an eagle dance in church. Dahyun’s emoji is a pig, and her positions are Lead Rapper and Sub-Vocalist.

•  Son Chaeyoung

Chaeyoung is the artistic one in Twice. She likes drawing and is very attentive to fashion. Her birthday is on April 23rd, 1999, and she was born in Seoul, South Korea. Chaeyoung drew a lot of attention to herself when, in 2016, she cut her hair without JYP’s permission, embracing it in the two first comebacks of 2017. Her emoji is a tiger, and her positions are Main Rapper and Sub-Vocalist. 

• Chou Tzuyu

Tzuyu is the official maknae (youngest member) in the group, and also the tallest. She was born on June 14th, 1999, in Tainan, Taiwan. Tzuyu is also the visual of the group, which means that, according to their agency and Korean beauty standards, she is the prettiest one of all nine of them.

When she was in her rookie days, during a variety show, Tzuyu waved the Taiwanese flag. That act unleashed a lot of hate from their Chinese fanbase, and at only 16 years old, she wrote an apology letter and read it in a video. Her emoji is a deer, and besides Maknae and Visual, her positions are Lead Dancer and Sub-Vocalist.

5 Twice’s songs you should be listening to right now

Now that you know everything about this K-group phenomenon, it’s time to get ready for their concert! Check out these five songs that are on the set of the “Ready to Be” tour:

• Set Me Free (Ready to Be, 2023)
  • Moonlight Sunrise (Ready to Be, 2023)
  • Queen of Hearts (Between 1&2)
  • Crazy Stupid Love (Ready to Be, 2023)
  • Hare Hare (Hare Hare, 2023)

———————-

The article above was edited by Anna Maria Prado.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero’s home page for more!

A journalism student following her dream.