dua lipa at the barbie premiere
dua lipa at the barbie premiere
Warner Bros

Training season is over and Dua Lipa is back!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Guess who ‘s back! After a collaboration with Versace, making her debut as an actress, having a hit on the “Barbie” tracklist, running a lifestyle newsletter and podcast website, the British diva, Dua Lipa, is officially ready to shake up the pop world once more! With her transformed look, the artist adopted a new aesthetic, putting an end to her 80s synth pop era to enter eccentric pop with a futuristic style.

Miss me?

In October 2023, the artist used a classic from the industry’s comebacks and blacked out her social networks. On the 12th of the same month, she revealed her new red hair through a photo on her Instagram, with the same caption she used in the announcement of her latest album, “Future Nostalgia: Miss me?”. This was enough to generate a huge uproar among fans, who created thousands of speculations about the new era.

Creating even more curiosity among her followers, Dua adopted an intriguing publicity strategy. The singer posted some photos and clues on her Instagram that were then archived, playing with the concept of the “catch me or I go” section, present in her new single.

Among riddles and codes, the name of the first single from the new album was finally discovered: Houdini! The song, released in November, brought a clip with simple elaboration, but with a lot of choreography (with red-haired dancers too) and a striking musical production. It also had an introduction to the psychedelic style, which is justified when we see Kevin Parker – founder and member of the band Tame Impala – as one of the producers.

Got me feeling, VERTIGO?

In one of the few occasions in which Dua revealed some of the mysteries of DL3, the singer classified the style of her new project as an “infusion of psychedelic pop into UK rave culture”. The singer also stated that bands like Primal Scream and Massive Attack were her main source of inspiration for creating the album.

On the talk show Jimmy Kimmel Live, Dua revealed that she wrote 97 songs for the album, and explained the difference in her creative process from her current work to her previous ones. “I’m much more confident in myself as a songwriter, and as a performer, and in how I want things to be,” declared the pop star. But of these almost 100 songs, only 11 were classified by the artist herself as “good enough” to be part of the final project.

The album’s name and release date have not been shared yet, but the star commented on the work’s main theme. Although the public is expecting a series of songs about her former relationship with Anwar Hadid, she adds that she will show a more “raw” and vulnerable side without exposing her personal life. “I want to capture the essence of youth and freedom, of having fun and just letting things happen, whether they are good or bad. You can’t change that.”, says Dua Lipa.

With the debut of the second single, Training Season, we can see that Dua continues in the line of songs that exude self-confidence, just as she did when she dictated the rules for getting over an ex in New Rules. “This song is about not wanting to teach someone how to love you. I think you have to come right or simply not come”, says the artist.

The performer is here!

It’s no news that dancing bullying haunted Dua Lipa during the beginning of her career and that the singer made a point of improving her performances with “Future Nostalgia”. But it seems like she’s raising her game even higher now.

So far, Dua has already performed her new songs at the Grammys and the Brit Awards, with great performances, full of choreography, jumps and electrifying juggling. With that, we can’t wait for these performances to be shown on the tour!

Disclosure

With the renewal period, a different means of advertising emerges: Whatsapp! Fans are updated with all the news, previews and even riddles across the platform.

In the promotion of Houdini, for example, the name of the song was discovered through a released code, which was based on the binary alphabet, and received responses and feedback from the public through the new communication channel. In addition to the participation of loves (the fandom’s nickname) in the song’s lyric video, with a selection of videos that also took place through the app.

The promotion of “Training Season” was a little different, with the artist herself reading some of her admirers’ love disasters.

Even with the big change in style, Dua Lipa continues to be a pop girl and an icon of empowerment through her music, and the preview of her album leaves an exciting atmosphere about her next steps.

———————————–

The article above was edited by Maria Esther Cortez.

Like this type of content? Check out Her Campus Casper Libero for more.

Hi! I'm a journalism student, fascinated by pop culture, shows, books, and all types of art! <3