This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Over the last few years, horror movies had been taken more seriously by Hollywood directors and producers, which leads to the end of “trash” movies era. The appearance of more complex characters and developed scripts make the fans of this kind of movies much happier and satisfied. 

Some horror films from this new generation have been on the spotlights in theaters and streaming platforms. 

Get Out (2017)

Image Source: Universal Pictures via IMDb

When Chris (Daniel Kaluuya) and Rose (Allison Williams) decide to reveal their interracial relationship to Rose’s parents, he realizes that nothing is what it seems to be. He’s well treated by his girlfriend’s family at first sight, but Chris and his best friend Howery (Rod Williana) constantly feel that something’s really wrong and twisted about her parents. According to Rotten Tomatoes, the movie had 98% of the audience’s approval, becoming one of the best horror movies in the history. Directed by Jordan Peele, Get Out won’t let you blink while watching.

The Babadook (2014)

Image Source: IMDb

The Babadook takes place as a villain in this horror film, being clearly an allegory to depression and other mental diseases. Amelia (Essie Davis) is a widowed single mother that struggles to deal with her 6-year-old son, Samuel (Noah Wiseman). The boy believes that they’re being haunted by this awful monster that was invoked through an illustrated book. Amelia also starts to hallucinate about the creature named Babadook, and even worse: she hallucinates about murdering her own son.

The Witch (2016)

Image Source: A24 via IMDb

New England, 1630. A family of English farmers is banned from the protestant church and leaves the village’s colonial plantation to live in a shack at the edge of a forest. Strange events starts to happen when the baby boy Samuel vanishes into the woods, supposedly hunted and devoured by a wolf. It doesn’t take long to the family get filled with paranoia and starts accusing the oldest daughter, Thomasin (Anya Taylor-Joy), of being a witch. 

The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)

Image Source: IMDb

In an average night at a morgue, Austin (Emile Hirsch) and his father Tommy (Brian Cox), receive the dead body of a mysterious unidentified woman, that was found at a bloody homicide scene. Even though the body seems to be fresh, suggesting that the death had just occurred, the Jane Doe’s (Olwen Kelly) inside is completely destroyed with scars, poison and ashes, revealing that she was actually burned alive. Along with the discover, creepy and bizarre events starts to happen at the little local morgue. Not even Austin’s cat is spared from this unknown fury and anger.

It (2017)

Image Source: Brooke PalmeR, Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. via IMDb

Under Andy Muschietti’s direction, this classic horror story, idealized by the marvelous mind of Stephen King, was brought back to theaters in a frightening remake. The film begins when the little Georgie (Jackson Robert Scott) disapears, just as many other kids in the city of Denver. His older brother Bill (Jaeden Lieberher), along with his friends, starts to investigate this mass vanishing that happens every 27 years and associate the cases with the sighting of a dreadful clown called Pennywise. The children’s cast is formed by prodigies like Finn Wolfhard, that star of Netflix series Stranger Things.

Bárbara is a young brazilian journalist that currently lives in São Paulo. She cries when watches Disney animations and Broadway Musicals. Also she's very interested about criminology, politics, photography and investigative journalism.
Anna is a 21 year old from Sao Paulo, Brazil, who studies Journalism at Casper Libero University. She’s currently the Editor in Chief of Her Campus CL's Chapter and is pretty obsessed with fashion, beauty and (trashy) reality TV shows.