This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The article below was written by Isabela Novelli and edited by Gabriela Sartorato. Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Líbero for more!

The final report of the parliamentary commission of inquiry, at last, was approved on October 26, bringing the “CPI da Covid” to an end. Since April, the work of the senators was to make known to the public an investigation about the management of the pandemic by the government. And, if there were any, find culprits for more than 600,000 deaths that could have been avoided.

And they found it. The report shows that Jair Bolsonaro is the main one responsible for the worsening situation of the pandemic in Brazil. The text suggests that Bolsonaro is investigated for nine crimes, including epidemics resulting in death, infraction of preventive health measures, charlatanism, prevarication, irregular use of public funds, incitement of crime, forgery of private documents, responsibility crime, and crimes against humanity.

The CPI can not denounce or punish someone, so, in this case, the suggestions must be sent to the attorney general, Augusto Aras, that will analyze the cases, and, hopefully, lead to a conviction of the president.

The journalist Jamil Chade, in an article to the newspaper El País, resumes well the feeling that Brazilians felt at the end of this stage: “The final report of the CPI of the Pandemic – presented this Wednesday with its more than 1,000 pages -, therefore, is one of the most important reports ever produced since the beginning of the pandemic in the world. Using the law, the mechanisms of the rule of law, and transparency, the report details how more than 600,000 people died in Brazil. Yes, there was a virus. But there was also an ally: the Brazilian government.”

And the journalist concludes: “For the first time, negationism was not only identified. But it has also been systematized and revealed in every single detail. Even with its limitations, the CPI outlines a fundamental first page in the response to the pandemic in the world. There is no use of weapons as revenge, but the law, the only instrument that democracy can resort to. And so the document plays a historic role in the global trajectory of the virus.”

The report brought a feeling of duty complete, of ending. After all, something was being done to expose the actions made against the Brazilian people, that, for example, despite numerous speeches delegitimizing the vaccination campaign, went in large numbers to get vaccinated. The mismanagement and negationism were exposed, not only in Brazil but in headlines all over the world.

However, while the time is passing and nothing seems to be done with these accusations, the more it increases the feeling that the matter will end with impunity. After all, there is something more important to be preoccupied with, is it not? The election next year, for example.

Meanwhile, we face 13,7 million unemployed, inflation rising, and scenes of hunger, with more and more people seeking food in the garbage or cooking bones. And these scenes are becoming more and more common. B3, the São Paulo stock market, had the courage, in the midst of it all, to show the strength of the financial market by putting a statue of the golden bull, like the one in Wall Street. Thankfully, demonstrators showed with posters that this wealth is also a symbol of “hungry, misery and labor super-exploitation”.

What Else Is Happening

So, is that the third option?!

The former judge – famous for Operation Lava Jato – and former minister of justice in Bolsonaro’s government, Sérgio Moro, joined a party. In a gaudy ceremony, he left undertones that he was launching his campaign for president in 2022. In front of a projection of the Brazilian flag, he said that “If necessary, would fight alone for Brazil and Justice. Would be Davi against Golias. But, seeing this auditorium, I am sure that I am not alone”. 

In the final moments, the new politician emphasized: “I will never use Brazil for personal gain. You know that you can trust that I will always do the right thing. Nobody will steal the future of the Brazilian people. I am, therefore, starting again today, at your disposal, for a fair Brazil for all.”

Despite not announcing his candidacy, he talked about projects for the future, including combating corruption. It is important to remember that he was accused of being impartial in the judgment of cases of Lava Jato, including of the former president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva and. It took a year to denounce that there was interference in the federal police while he was part of the government.

Important change for whom?

To have funds for a new financial aid, the chamber of deputies voted – and approved – an amendment to the constitution that permits the delay of debt payment, by the executive, and changes how it is calculated. Everything to ensure that it does not exceed the spending cap. 

However, part of the money that will be liberated by this, around 91 billion, is destined to pay for those votes in favor. You heard right. While the aid will cost 50 billion according to predictions of the government, another 20 billion will be sent to legislators – chosen by the leader of the government in the chamber, of course.

Tourist in Italy

The president did not appear at COP26, stating the isolation of Brazil in the international scenario. While in Rome, in the G20 encounter, Bolsonaro did not have any meetings with another world leader and held a brief and informal conversation with Tedros Adhanom, general director of the World Health Organization.

Bolsonaro said: “I am the only head of state in the world who is being investigated, accused of genocide. That’s politics, isn’t it?”, while the health minister continued: “Me too. I’m going with him [Bolsonaro] to The Hague. We’ll go for a walk there.’ -, and told the press that Angela Merkel “called me to talk for thirty minutes, we almost went dancing in the middle of the hall, one in love with the other.”

He did not reach Glasgow, preferring to stay as a tourist in Italy. While he was there, he visited the city where one of his ancestors lived before migrating to Brazil and honoring Brazilian soldiers that fought in WWII against fascists – with the company of Matteo Salvini, leader of a far-right party in Italy.

📰 Related: Inside Latin America | New Venezuelan Currency: Reasons And Impacts Of The Change
journalism major | senior editor at her campus at cásper líbero