This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

During quarantine, many people decided to adopt pets especially due to the lack of social interaction and the consequential feeling of loneliness. If you’re one of those people who want to get a pet but still haven’t made up your mind about it and want some tips on whether or not you should do it – here you go! This is all you need to know before adopting a pet.

They’re great company, but also a responsibility 

Having a pet is so much fun! They’re not only adorable but will also keep you company during the good AND the bad days – and will even help you go through those. But, of course, they’re also living creatures and they demand responsibility. You’ll have to look after them, pick up their “mess” (if you know what I mean) and, if you decide to adopt a dog, go on walks. Not only that, you have to feed them, make sure they’re getting properly hydrated, comb their fur and give them baths from time to time. So if you’re not willing to make time for all of that, maybe you should give it a little more thought. 

Things can get a bit expensive

As said, you need to feed them. So obviously first you’ll have to buy them food. Not only that, you’ll have to buy your pet plenty of other stuff. You need to be aware that even when adopting a pet for free (as you should because there are so many stray cats and dogs that need a home!) there are gonna be some costs. That’s why you need to talk to your parents before bringing a pet home if you live together – they’ll have to agree to pay for their medicines, vaccines and everything that a healthy dog or cat needs.

Consider the space you have and if it’s appropriate for a pet 

Do you live in a house? Or in an apartment? Do you share it with anyone or do you live by yourself? These are all things that must be considered before getting a pet. If you live either in a house or in an apartment and are thinking of getting, for example, a cat, you should have the whole place prepared prior to its arrival: decide where you’re gonna keep the feeding station, where you want the cat to sleep and, of course, you need to have all of your doors and windows made cat-friendly so accidents can be avoided. 

Love is never enough 

A pet’s necessities are not only food and water but also LOVE! You need to give your pet a whole lot of love and you’ll see it goes both ways: the pet will love you back. So love is never enough when it comes to pets and that’s something you must know before adopting one.

Be responsible and don’t abandon an innocent being

This is probably the most important tip you need: be serious about it and don’t treat the little being like it’s disposable – because it is not! A lot of animals get adopted and, after growing a certain amount, are abandoned. That’s not only a heartless and cruel thing to do but it’s also a crime (in Brazil).

Nathália Lopes

Casper Libero '23

Journalism student