Things We Love: Casperians Talk About Their Collections

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

We all have something that we love and we begin to gather compulsively. Some have small collections, but others, with a lot of time and dedication, transform a modest collection into something gigantic! But how does the habit of collecting things begin? There are several ways and stories that influence people to become a collector, such as Lorena Alves, casperian, who collects cultural pamphlets and tickets of concert, movies and exhibitions. She began her collection with the intention to turn them into memories. “Around 2012, I started going in many cultural events and I wanted to have a remembrance of the things that I love doing, and the places I love to frequent. Then, I started to keep everything that reminds me of cool moments that helped my cultural formation.”. Today, she has about 150 pamphlets and 200 tickets!

There are collections that are heritage, so it passes from generation to generation, bearing a more familiar meaning, parents and children, as well as sisters sharing a common vice. In the case of Ana Beatriz, her grandfather influenced her to collect ink pens, one part of which she won because of her achievements (having passed in college, her first job, etc) and the others are pens that called her attention!

For Gabriela Paes, her collection is full of feelings. “My sister always liked shells a lot, so she started the collection. She passed away about 8 years ago, and I kept the collection, this remains as our connection” reported the student of Cásper Líbero. And why not to collect clothing labels? This is what “decorate” the door of Bianca Barboni’s closet, which, because she thinks some they are cute, doesn’t had courage to throw them away, not very pleasing to her mother who saw it as “garbage heap”.

The habit of collecting is present in all of us, we will always have something that we love very much that even unconsciously turns into a collection. Lighters, postcards, fridge magnets, and many other things are the hobbies of the casperians. Even with some critics who say that it is “unnecessary”, “waste of time” and “futility”, the important thing is to do what you like and surround yourself with things that we love!

Aline Oliveira

Casper Libero

Journalism student of Cásper Líbero
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.