TAYLOR SWIFT’S BREAKUP: 5 SONGS THAT WILL NOW “HIT DIFFERENT”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

“It hits different ‘cause it’s you.” Indeed, Taylor. Indeed. 

Last weekend, Swifties – including me – heard the news about Taylor Swift and Joe Alwyn’s  breakup. The note was published by Entertainment Tonight on Saturday (April 8th) and made the Blondie fans cry over the internet, especially on Twitter. According to ET, it was an amicable ending and it’s been a few weeks since then, which explains why we haven’t seen Joe in any concert by The Eras Tour. But it’s important to emphasize that not one of Taylor’s representatives made a pronunciation about this, so, we can still hope that it’s not true!

Despite the speculations, though, we know that Taylor was in love with him and that’s because she filled us with a bunch of songs about being in love and in a healthy relationship. So, we gathered up five songs written by the singer and allegedly dedicated her former lover. 

CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT

Image published by Taylor on her Instagram to announce the 4th song of the album

Reputation was the first Taylor’s album which she released in love with him, back in 2017. So the fans were excited about what would come. Tracks such as …Ready For It, Gorgeous, End Game, Don’t Blame Me, Delicate, So It Goes…, King Of My Heart, Dress, New Year’s Day and Call It What You Want were written for and about Joe. Taylor even surprised everyone with the amount of love songs included in the album.

“I’m laughing with my lover, making forts under covers, trust him like a brother, you know I did one thing right” as she says in this verse, Call It What You Want is about working on a better version of herself and being in a good relationship. “I want to wear his initial on a chain around my neck. Not because he owns me, but because he really knows me” is the most famous verse among the fans – and, well personally to me: I dream to dedicate this to someone…

CORNELIA STREET

Reproduction: Instagram

We all know that Lover is an album almost entirely made for Joe, so I will not quote the song Lover nor Paper Rings, because it’s clear to us that it’s made to him. However, Cornelia Street is a song that not everyone knows. The track reached the daily streams after the breakup news was published, with 459,000 streams in a day.

The place that gives the song title is the street in New York where Taylor lived for some months in the beginning of the relationship with Joe. As she says “And I hope I never lose you, hope it never ends. I’d never walk Cornelia Street again”, she said that she would not walk on Cornelia Street again because there remember her at the beginning of everything. And as we know… she will never ever ever (get back to get there)! Hahahaha! (I’m crying right now!)

DAYLIGHT

To me, this is the best song she made to Joe! The lyrics have an amount of references to some old Taylor tracks, and shows how she matured as a woman and a musician. “I once believed love would be burning red, but it’s golden” referred to Red, a song from the album with the same name, when she responded the part “loving him was red”. I, personally, would love to dedicate this song to a person who I am certain I will get married to. Daylight is also about embracing forgiveness for yourself and letting you fall in love again.

SWEET NOTHING

Midnights was her last album, and we know there are many references to her supposed, latest ex-boyfriend. Sweet Nothing is special because they wrote it together, but in the credits there’s no “Joe Alwyn” because he used his pseudonym: William Bowery. I confess this song is far from my favorite of the whole album, but the lyrics are really pretty. “All that you ever wanted from me was sweet nothing” is the verse that touches me because it shows that their love asked no demands from both.

THE GREAT WAR

It’s funny to hear that song after the breakup because she wrote that referring to some relationship crisis that they have had. The Great War is about how old relationships can haunt her current one and how she puts too many  expectations on her boyfriend, wishing he’d be way different than the others. The war was over when she realized what she was doing and, finally, “called off the tropes”.

The article above was edited by Camila Lutfi.
Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero for more!

Tiffany Maria

Casper Libero '26

I'm a journalism student at Cásper Líbero. I love read and write about anything, especially music and art. I perceive art in everything where my eyes can see. As a new person in journalism world, I’m expecting that one of my texts impacts you from some way.