This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Ryan Murphy does it again and we are not shocked! The new Netflix series “Ratched” debuted in September and was created by Ryan Murphy, writer known for “Glee”, “Hollywood”, “Pose”, “American Horror Story” and many others. Does “Racthed” live up to Ryan Murphy’s name?

What is it about?

The 8 episodes show is an adaptation of the 1975’s very famous movie “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” – “Um Estranho no Ninho”, in portuguese – which won five Oscars including Best Actor (Jack Nicholson), Best Actress (Louise Fletcher) and Best Picture in 1976. Netflix’s “Ratched” tells the story and background of the Nurse Ratched, Louise Fletcher’s character.

Mildred Ratched from “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” is considered to be on the list of the most hated villains from movies. On the new Netflix’s series we get to see not only another side to the character, but also what led her to be the way she is and her family’s story. And we also have to give the credits to Sarah Paulson for that.

Sarah Paulson as the “not so beloved” main character

Sarah’s acting game is always on point and “Ratched” is no exception. Her portrait of the nurse Mildred makes it hard for us to hate her, but at the same time hard to love at some points. As a viewer, it is hard to stay at the “right versus bad” state of mind as the episodes go.

If you like the drama and suspense from Ryan Murphy’s “American Horror Story”, you will probably like “Ratched”. The nurse Ratched  does literally anything to get what she wants, which involves violence, manipulation and  many others.

Is the “thrill of it all” strong enough?

But “Ratched” also has its weakness, such as the plot. At first, we don’t know what is happening and what Mildred’s plans are, and that is fine, we discover it with time. The problem is that once we find out, there is still half a season to go. So it is easy to feel like the thrill of it all gets a little weak after a few episodes, even though they try to keep it by maintaining the mystery to some characters.

Even though the plot falls a little weak by the middle of the episodes, its finale is a Netflix’s typical. The writers either decided to leave a cliffhanger for a possible second season or decided to leave it for our imagination, trying to please a bigger part of the audience, which can be frustrating to the viewers who need a defined conclusion. 

Every production has its flaws, but that doesn’t mean they are not worthy of our binge watch. “Ratched” is still a great production and a very interesting take on the famous nurse Ratched. Streaming it means watching a great acting from the whole cast and an engaging story that only adds up to the Oscar winning “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”.

————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Lívia Carvalho.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Karen Oliveira

Casper Libero '22

A curious mind always trying to learn something new. Karen is passionate about languages, music and culture. She is now studying Jornalism at Cásper Líbero in order to achieve her best self as a writer.