Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Sex May Still Be A Taboo, But These Women Are Here To Change This Scenario

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

“We have a big myth in society. When a colleague comes to work on a Monday smiling, what do people think? She had sex! Our libido is not just the desire we have to have sex, it is the desire we have to live, to wake up, to work, to carry out our projects, to create, and our sexual desire is totally linked to that” – these wise words were said by Luana Lumertz, the owner of a sex shop – and by that, a great expert when it comes to sthe subject. 

There’s no better way to start explaining the significance of sex in society than listening to an expert about it. The big problem is that this matter is still seen as taboo, and talking about it can be a big challenge for many people, especially women. “Pleasure being a taboo, or considered something pornographic, starts with the lack of information and the repression of society”, explains Lumertz. 

That’s why we’ve put together a list of powerful names in this universe, which will amplify your knowledge about your pleasure and sensuality, after all “Our orgasm is connected to the power of our decision-making, our creativity (…) Many of us are still taking this awareness and awakening this sexuality”, as Luana says. So let’s embark on this pleasant journey of meeting them – and believe me, it will get even better when we put their advice into practice!

KARLEY SCIORTINO

This empowered woman is, without a doubt, the owner of one of the greatest CVs in the area of sexuality. With a blend of humor and intellect, embracing the idea of exploring shameless pleasure, Karley Sciortino is an American writer, television host and producer. She writes Vogue.com’s “Breathless” monthly column and is the author of “Slutever.com”, a blog that discusses sex and relationships, approaching the subjects with freedom. BDSM, sex work, sex parties and the power of sexual agency are just some of the many juicy themes covered on the site.

Also, she released a book titled “Slutever: Dispatches from a Sexually Autonomous Woman in a Post-Shame World” and served as producer and host of the Viceland documentary series “Slutever”, inspired by her book and blog.

I would say that now you have reason enough to know more about this extraordinary pro-sex feminist.

raquel savage

Her surname alone reveals that we are dealing with another empowered queen. Raquel Savage is a board certified sex coach, sex educator and sex worker. She is heavily known for the six seasons of her amazing podcast “The Savage Life”. 

Brush under the rug it’s not her thing, so sexual and social stigmas are addressed in an accessible and humorous way, making taboos lighter and encouraging more and more people to address these issues as part of their lives. Her refreshing approach is quite inviting, making topics such as consent, non-monogamous ethics, fetishes and female orgasms no longer treated so harshly. Raquel is synonymous with inspiration and motivation. Want proof? Check out her Instagram.

Ev’Yan Whitney

“I wanted to be sexually free, self-defined, on my own terms. And through that, I’ve inspired hundreds of thousands of individuals to do that same” – this is the speech of renowned sexuality doula, author, facilitator and sensualist, Ev’Yan Whitney, expressed on her website.

The Black queer nonbinary says she had an insatiable curiosity about sexuality, sensuality and the body. But these topics – and also her pleasure – were elusive and treated as inaccessible.

Breaking these barriers, the book “Sensual Self: Prompts and Practices for Getting in Touch with Your Body” and the podcast “Sensual Self (formerly The Sexually Liberated Woman)”, were the fruits of her journey of self-discovery on pleasure. The book’s pages contain 150 exploratory prompts and exercises, which aim to define what sensuality is and how it manifests itself in your body, knowing the full spectrum of your sensuality, healing and freedom, leading to a sense of security and completeness. 

The podcast, on the other hand, fills its minutes with the exploration of the pleasures of the body and the nuances of sensual expression, aiming at reconnecting with ourselves and the feeling of well-being with our sexuality.

Cátia Damasceno

Here’s the owner of the biggest sexuality channel in Brazil, with more than 9 million subscribers: Cátia Damasceno. She’s a physiotherapist, specialized in urogynecology and intimate gymnastics. There are so many courses, presentations and topics that are part of her career, that I don’t even know where to start! She has a play entitled “What can go wrong in bed”, which went through several states in Brazil. Her digital book “Squeeze and Release- Discover the Power of Intimate Gymnastics” is also a best-selling and guiding tool in women’s body awareness journey. 

Speaking of this topic, Cátia also has a blog, “Well resolved women”, where she talks about oral sex, anal sex, seduction, sensual dances, sensual massage, relationship coach, insecurity, jealousy and financial prosperity. “It is an experience of full transformation in a woman’s life”, describes the professional on her website.

In addition, by joining her website it is possible to learn a little more about its various courses, which offer different benefits and experiences.

Luana Lumertz

We’ve already talked about intimate gymnastics, exploring pleasure and sensuality, but something very important is still missing when it comes to sex life: sex toys. And there is no better influencer to talk about the subject than Luana Lumertz. 

The Brazilian owns the “Egalité sex shop”, whose products are exclusively for women, ranging from toys to lubricants and gels. “Egalité arose from a separation from my parents, and my father was completely abusive, a lot of psychological violence (…) so we were in a very difficult financial situation, we started to undertake out of necessity. The subject also came up with affinity, we were always able to talk openly about sex and sexuality at home, so we decided that it could be a good subject to bring up. We created Egalité to bring equality when it comes to feeling pleasure, and we know that, for women, it is much more difficult because of a society that scolds, that is sexist, that prunes us”, says Lumertz. 

And the market is still moving. The entrepreneur is already thinking about the future. “Reach the largest number of women and manage to move other social projects too, especially for women who suffer domestic violence or who are in a vulnerable situation”. 

And she continues: “We must spread the word more about information, about sex education, and that as a whole, as a society, not only women, but men also need to participate in this conversation”.

The young woman works in the erotic market even created an online course called “Luana Lumertz method”, in which she teaches how to get a sex shop off paper. This role is very important, once, many times, ventures of this type do not focus on developing items that will really promote the pleasure of all customers, specifically women, who suffer with their desired pleasure aside. “I would like every woman and person to be able to find ways to provide themselves with pleasure and to be able to relate in a more peaceful way, as this causes a lot of happiness and quality of life”, she says.

The sex educator also has a channel about vibrators, relationships, sexuality, female entrepreneurship and encourages women to awaken self-knowledge, touch each other more and to use different sex toys.

“I have always been a person who has had a connection with sexuality. So, as a teenager I didn’t understand why my classmates at school didn’t say they masturbated, why it was a taboo, why it was shameful. I felt desire, I liked being with boys, and I was curious about discovering sexuality, and I didn’t understand why it was so difficult to talk about it. It was always a subject that aroused a lot of curiosity, I always spoke very openly about sex, sensuality, masturbation, as if I were talking about any other subject.”

Shelby Sells

If you spend hours on Instagram and are one of those people who loves informatives and aesthetic photographs, Shelby Sells will be a case of love at first sight for you. Her focus is on making people feel more comfortable and happy in their intimacy, not treating issues like sex and poronography as taboos. 

She works as an individual or couples coach, demystifying affairs confidentially, without judgment, and providing a safe space for healing and connection. 
Shelby also advertises on social media, providing accessible content on mental health and sexual well-being, as well as speaking at conferences, events, workshops, podcasts and media channels. “I offer a judgment-free space where my clients can feel comfortable, authentic, connected, and free to explore their lives with curiosity,” says Sells on her website.

Ruby Rare

Last but not least, we have one more renowned author to add on the wish-list: Ruby Rare (I imagine that by now, you’ve already filled your shopping cart at the bookstore with many amazing suggestions). “Sex Ed: A Guide for Adults” is described as an accessible guide to sex education and awareness, until then considered insufficient in UK schools, in the author’s view. This queer non-monogamous woman also advocates for sex positivity and bodily acceptance. 

She is also the co-founder of the “Body Love Sketch Club”, along with her longtime friend Rosy Pendlebaby – this artistic collective illustrates life drawing and other sex-positive activities.

“Talking about pleasure, whether it’s sexual or otherwise, is something that I really enjoy – it’s a pleasurable acting in itself. But on a more serious note, pleasure is so often left out of the conversation when it comes to sex education, and it’s also often misrepresented in the films, TV shows, and porn we consume, so culturally I think we have a very warped idea of what pleasure looks and feels like” – says Rare in an interview for the “Notion podcast”.

——————————————————————

The article above was edited by Laura Enchioglo

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Mariana do Patrocínio

Casper Libero '25

journalism student. aquarius. art lover. fashion addict. yoga practitioner. traveler.