Running to Find Inferno: Movie Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Dan Brown’s book have sold thousands of copies around the world and were translated into several languages. Similarly to other book series, it was transformed into movies. Da Vinci Code was good, although some people claim the book was better and the same was said for Angels and Demons. Even if specialized critics state that Dan Brown uses the same formula to write its books and get the readers attention, it is nice to know that people are caring about codes, ideograms and secrets more. Inferno, its new movie, follows the same path.

In summary, we follow Harvard professor Robert Langdon through his journey in Florence, Venice and Istambul to find a pathogene, named Inferno, able to kill half the earth’s humans. Differently from the other movies and books I felt that Inferno lacked in story lines, it was all too easy, there was not much secrets or riddles for Langdon to solve and neither for the watcher to be intrigued by. Furthermore, it seemed that eventhough it makes direct references do Dante’s Inferno, there is very little indepth analysis on the literary work or its characters. Betrice, for instance, is only mentioned twice. 

Another thing that it is quite disturbing, in my opinion, is the pathogene to kill human race. I felt back to my childhood days when I first watched the second mission impossible movie, where there was a virus named Quimera. Quite cliche, in fact.

If you are looking for a little adventure – not much really – you will find Inferno an okay experience.  

Alana Claro

Casper Libero '17

Alana is a Senior in Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. She is President of Casper Libero's Chapter and an intern in a Corporate Communications firm. Born and raised in Sao Paulo, where she speaks Portuguese, although English is her ever-lasting love. Alana is a proud Slytherin and INTJ.